Pointlessness

As a child I would never make my bed.
"What's the point? I'll just go to sleep and mess it up again."

As I grew older, I would never waste my money on food.
"What's the point? In a few hours, it'll pass."

And now the same question veiled by a different arrangement of words reverberates.
"What's the point of life if we're all just going to die?"

The actions, the preparation and decoration, the small details and the big picture, they're all rendered useless without life. My memories of tempting tactile sensations, heart-wrenching sadness or pulse-racing giddiness, will all be diminished to moot inexistence. At best, I can hope to be a shade of my former self, an obsidian outline of what I once was, vaguely recalling life, but never being able to feel its caress again.

What's the point of this fleeting existence?
Like an answer to my question, the brilliance of nighttime constellations shine down through my window.

Life is pointless. For you and for me, alike. Even if I achieved every dream I ever dreamed, death would rob me of each accomplishment. But, like the stars, whose radiance can reach me even galaxies away, imprinting my life well after they have expired, I can touch someone else's life.

Selfishness breeds extinction, but an eternity can be found in the simplest connections.

**WILL BE MOVED EXCLUSIVELY TO PATREON IN A WEEK**
-Please take this time to leave me comments, feedback, and vote on which of the poems in this collection were your favorites. This will be what I use to dictate which poems I create audio/visual videos to go along with. Patreon LINK IN BIO.