Chapter 8

Flames leapt from the fireplace, licking the wooden furniture inside the old house. Through the cracked window, the fiery bursts seemed to glow as they engulfed the room. From the wrinkled, dark rug to the wicker rocking chair, nothing remained untouched by the dancing flames. Jen stood transfixed by the terrible sight, her dark eyes as wide as saucers, unable to breathe or think much less move. Out of the blue, her gaze narrowed to a sudden movement inside the house.

“Run!” Lauren screamed, her eyes bulging as she too witnessed the horror being unleashed inside the rickety, old house. They scrambled to their feet, spraying dirt and mud as they ran. The four girls dashed out onto the street, not even bothering to make sure they stayed hidden. Their minds were far too occupied with the task of return to the safety of Courtney’s bedroom.

Panting, the quartet raced down the street, Jen and Courtney in the lead with Lauren and Kelly bringing up the rear, darting through various lawns and cutting through backyards. No one dared to speak or slow down until they burst through the gates of Courtney’s enormous backyard.

Gasping for breath, Kelly clutched the ebony iron gates, leaning against them for support. Lauren, biting her lip and fighting back tears, mirrored her on the other side, her long waves hiding her tear-streaked face. Jen shook her head in disbelief, placing her hands on her knees and leaning over. She could feel the disgusting bile in her throat waiting to come up. Jen desperately wanted to throw up, to regurgitate the entire evening and pretend it had never happened.

Courtney stood off to the side, tilting her face to the sky. Her face looked pale and gaunt, her prominent cheekbones seemed emaciated, and her gaze no longer radiated that same confident glow. She rubbed her arms softly, trying in vain to shield the light blue spots that were just beginning to appear. Jen could plainly see the bruises starting to form, reminders of this terrible night. The prank. The fire.

What they had done.

“Should we call the fire department?” Kelly asked in a muffled voice, breaking the eerie quiet that had settled. Three heads snapped to her immediately. Jen shrugged, and Lauren grimaced, looking pointedly at Courtney. It was ironic that they were in this mess because of Courtney yet everyone still seeker her approval.

Courtney shook her head, pointing in the direction from which they’d just run from. “Listen,” she said in a hushed tone. Jen cocked her head, wondering what she was supposed to be hearing.

“Oh!” Lauren exclaimed softly as the distinct high-pitch wail of a fire truck reached their ears.

“I have an idea,” Courtney said, snapping her fingers and whirling around. “Follow me,” she called out as she walked to the back patio and climbed the wooden steps. Kelly and Jen exchanged a hesitant glance. They’d had enough of Courtney’s ideas for one night. But Lauren, always believing the best in everyone, trotted up the stairs leaving the other two no choice except to follow.

Shrugging, Jen turned around. “What do we have to lose?” she said quietly to Kelly before ascending the stairs two at a time. With a sigh, Kelly followed her up. Reaching the top, Jen took a quick peek around. It wasn’t very often that the girls came up here. The barstools and granite countertop remained deathly still on her left, the bench swing swayed gently from the wind on her right.

A tiny creak made her stop short, the blood draining from her face. She whirled around frantically, heart pounding. “Sorry,” Kelly whispered, causing Jen to roll her eyes. “My bad.”

“Guys, come here,” Lauren said, her voice trembling. Kelly’s eyes widened as she hurried over to the edge of the balcony where the other girls stood staring in shock.

From the balcony, everything was visible. The whole neighborhood fast asleep could be seen from this vantage point. Peering out, Jen could see Hampton Falls, the gushing waterfall that their city was so famous for that lay beyond the neighborhood. There was Hampton Falls Academy and Lakeview Mall as well as various other shops and restaurants that lined the roads. It was a picture perfect scene, one that could be found on the back of a postcard.