Chapter 7

“Come on guys,” hissed Courtney. “A little higher!” Kelly huffed, her arms feeling like lead despite the fact that Courtney was a size 0. Biting back a grumble, she and Lauren pushed together and heaved her friend’s tiny frame higher and higher so she could snake her way onto the roof. Suddenly, all the weight was gone. Lauren dropped her arms as Kelly breathed a sigh of relief, shaking out her numb hands.

A whisper drifted across the lawn from Jen who was watching the struggle from her perch in the shadow of the bushes. “Courtney, you ready?” she asked softly. Kelly couldn’t see or hear the response, but she had a shrewd feeling that it wasn’t a very pleasant one, especially based upon the dejected expression that flickered momentarily across Jen’s normally cheery face.

“Now!” Courtney called, her voice floating down. Lauren winced as she looked around, obviously uneasy about the pitch of Courtney’s voice. It seemed as though she was practically shouting in the dead of the night. Knowing what they were doing was not only wrong but could also land them in a heap of trouble if they were caught left the girls’ shaken and unsettled. Every word spoken was an opportunity to be seen, every movement only increased their chances of trouble.

Jen glanced around warily, the two projectiles clutched tightly in each fist. Her dark eyes clouded with worry scanned the premises, not that she could see much. The lawn, dimly lit by the streetlight, seemed to be filled with small patches of light while the rest of the yard remained shrouded with mystery and darkness. It was hard to make out, but Jen could just barely see the faint outlines of two hunched figures on the porch steps, craning to see the roof. One sat on the bottom step, hugging her knees tightly. The other girl slouched against the wooden railing, her hands folded tightly against her chest.

Holding her breath, Jen looked up to the sky, gazing intently at the figure on the roof. She launched the projectiles one by one, waiting in anticipation for a sign from Courtney. A tiny yelp of joy told her the rolls of toilet paper had reached their designated destination. She’d made her mark. A small bubble of satisfaction filled her up inside. It was good to know Courtney relied on her for something, that it didn’t always have to be the other way around.

“Shh!” a voice shot out in a very loud whisper. “Do you want to get caught?” Suddenly, Lauren was by her side, clutching Jen’s hand tightly, watching Courtney with anticipation. Kelly appeared on her right, with a scowl, her eyes radiating fury…and fear. Gulping, Jen fumbled in the darkness for Kelly’s hand, grasping it firmly when she found it. Kelly’s face seemed surprised but tiniest bit relieved. She squeezed Jen’s hand back, happy to have some moral support. No one had ever done something so daring. It was exciting but nerve-wrecking at the same time. Together, the trio gazed up at the twinkling stars above, each saying their own little prayer.

Squinting, she watched a lithe outline scramble up the roof, gripping the ebony colored tiles for a hold. Jen couldn’t breathe as she watched Courtney grab onto the chimney. Her gorgeous, flawless face had nothing but excitement and adventure etched into it. Even in the dim lighting of the street, it was clear that Courtney was fearless even while committing such a scandalous act. In fact, there was no remorse, no worry, not a hint of regret on her face. Only enthusiasm and…satisfaction.

Suddenly, a noise startled her. In horror, Courtney stared down in horror. Her earlier completely poised expression now had traces of fear and anxiety to it. Clapping her hands over her mouth, Jen had to stifle herself from screaming out loud. Courtney’s grip had slipped as a roof tile, obviously not glued on tight enough, had gotten loose. So when the tile not lodged into place had fallen, making the loud thump that seemed to reverberate around the neighborhood, Courtney had to scramble for another hold.

Silently, Jen said a quick prayer, hoping that they got out of here safely and without getting caught. Her premonitions of dread had only deepened, and she couldn’t seem to get it out of her head that there was something not right about the night. Not only did she feel as though she was being watched, Jen thought she saw a faint flickering through one of the windows. Peering intently, she tried to get a better look, but it was impossible to see without getting closer. Jen had no intent of moving out the shadows though, especially not after the noise of Courtney’s almost-fall. Despite her earlier thrill of doing such a thing with her friends, all she wanted now was to be back in bed, gossiping with the lights off. What they should have been doing at Courtney’s.

Instead, the girls were at the creepy Victorian mansion where multiple rumors circulated about what all went on in the haunted house. “Shh!” a voice shot out in a very loud whisper. Kelly’s disgust and terror were evident as she glared up at the roof. “Do you want to get caught?”

Suddenly, Lauren was by her side, clutching Jen’s hand tightly and watching Courtney with anticipation. Kelly appeared on her right, with a scowl, her eyes radiating fury…and fear. Gulping, Jen fumbled in the darkness for Kelly’s hand, grasping it firmly when she found it. Kelly’s face seemed surprised but tiniest bit relieved. She squeezed Jen’s hand back, happy to have some moral support. No one had ever done something so daring. It was exhilarating but nerve-wrecking at the same time. Together, the trio gazed up at the twinkling stars above them as they waited for Courtney to ‘drop the bomb.’

Then they heard it, all at once. The boom, like a mini explosion. Courtney’s whispered scream.

The girls jumped out of the bushes in sync, an identical expression of pure terror and fright engraved on their faces. Courtney slid down the rest of the roof as the trio watched from the ground. Jen’s head had gone into panic-mode. She couldn’t think. She couldn’t breathe. It felt like she was having a heart attack. All she knew was that they had to get out of here now and fast.

“Courtney!” Lauren whimpered in a hushed voice laced with fear, her eyes wide with horror. “Come on!” Her friend had halted at the top of the roof, biting her lip. The ‘It’s a long way down’ scenario was clearly playing in her mind. After everything, Courtney’s hesitation was just too much for Jen to believe. Apparently, the same went for Kelly.

“What are you doing?” Kelly cried out loud, not bothering to keep her tone down. “Get down now!”

Courtney snapped her eyes shut, letting her limbs go loose and jumped. Jen watched in agony as her best friend’s agile body fell from the top, her magnificent golden locks streaming behind her. Nothing could compare to the pain she felt as the body landed with a thump. Lauren screamed as she dashed out of their covert hiding spot with Jen and Kelly on her heels.

Rushing over, the girls ran to the darkened part of the lawn by the porch, digging anxiously through the bushes. “Courtney?” Lauren called. “Courtney!” Sobs wracked her body as the trio scrounged around for their beloved friend. Dirt and grime streaked Kelly’s tan face as she panted, searching in the dark for the body. ‘Courtney!’ she wanted to scream. ‘Where are you?!’ But a golf ball had lodged itself in her throat and made it virtual impossible to do anything but make strangled, choking sounds of grief.

Jen wiped her eyes, scanning the area. Courtney seemed to have vanished before their eyes. Whirling around, Jen glanced down the street, knowing they didn’t have much time. Someone had to have heard them. And if by some miracle no one had, the explosion of whatever they’d heard would kill them first. They needed to find Courtney and high-tail it out of here.

“Courtney!” Lauren cried, relief evident in her shout. “Guys, I found her!” she whisper-shrieked. A mere second later, Jen and Kelly were bending over Courtney’s pale, limp body, pleading for their friend to wake up quickly.

“Courtney, you have to get up. Courtney, please!” Kelly begged, her eyes pooling with unshed tears. Lauren and Jen had identical looks of shock. Kelly was the strong one of their group, refusing to yield and break down. Seeing their strong friend blubbering over Courtney’s almost lifeless body put them on edge.

Jen’s gaze darted around. She was sure someone was coming to arrest them by now. Jen could picture the jail, the handcuffs, being behind bars. It seemed so vivid in her mind, so real. But as if an answer to her silent prayers, Courtney stirred, her long lashes fluttering open to reveal two piercing blue orbs that took most people’s breaths away.

“Courtney!” Lauren sobbed, her face displaying pure relief and fear. “We have to get out of here! We have to go now!” she yelled, pulling Courtney up. Staggering around, the blonde rubbed her temples and winced.

“We have to go,” she whispered hoarsely, getting up with the others. Jen scanned the yard for any flashing red, white and blue lights or sirens but saw none. Instead, she saw something different, something else. Something that made her blood turned to ice.

The fire.