Chapter 4

Mentally, Jen slapped herself. She needed to stop being so doubtful of everything and learn how to just be happy. Shaking her head once more, she watched in anticipation as Courtney unveiled her precious gift. The sparkly sequined lid came off the box. Lauren let out a miniscule gasp. Kelly’s eyes bulged. Jen felt speechless. Inside the box lay 4 crystal rings. Each ring was a silver band with a sparkling gemstone in the middle that was the color of each girl’s cushion – and their favorite colors. Slowly, Courtney took out the silver crystal and slipped it onto her hand. She took the rosy pink one out next, sliding it onto Kelly’s ring finger. Kelly had gone white, almost as though she was going to faint. No one dared to breath or make a noise. It was almost ceremonial, like a tradition of rings.

Next was Lauren whose eyes were staring in such wonder that she seemed five years younger. On her slender fingers went a light purple ring. Finally, it was Jen’s turn. Her insides were tumbling over each other. The sapphire ring that Courtney slid onto her hand fit like a dream. Jen touched the gem on the shiny band to make sure it was real, that she wasn’t just dreaming. She wanted to scream with joy and happiness, run around the room whooping. A hundred questions popped into her mind. Where had it come from? How much did the rings cost? Was this real?

Gazing around the room, she saw mirror images of the same expression: amazement, incredulity and pure disbelief. It was almost impossible to think that out of all the girls at Hampton Fall’s Academy, Jen had been chosen. She was the one that got to rule the school with Courtney. She was the one that went over to Courtney’s for slumber parties, to hang out, to share secrets with. She was the one.

How? Jen had no earthly idea. But she thanked her lucky stars for whatever they had done create such a miracle. After all, being best friends with Courtney Marie Anderson was nothing but a blessing. Or so it seemed.

A sudden knock at the door broke the silence. Mrs. Anderson poked her head through the door. She was an older, more mature version of Courtney. Other than the couple wrinkles near her eyes and the minor discrepancies in height and weight, the two seemed to be almost spitting images. They shared the same perfect golden locks, the same prominent high cheekbones and rosy lips. They also possessed the same baby blue orbs that pierced your soul.

“Hello girls!” Mrs. Anderson smiled warmly. “It so good to see you all again!”

“You too, Mrs. Anderson,” Lauren responded promptly, tucking a stray stand of hair behind her ear with a grin. The rest of us nodded, except for Courtney who stared out the window.

Kelly frowned, nudging Courtney a little, but the girl made no movement and continued to ignore her mom. It was odd, seeing as Mrs. Anderson was one of the few relaxed mothers in the busy, posh town of Hampton Falls, but Jen didn’t think much of it. She was too busy in her mind, her thoughts swirling over what the precious box could have held.

“Well I just came to say that pizza’s downstairs if you all want it,” she chirped, winking at us once before closing the door again.

Jen glanced around to see if anyone else felt as strange as she did. The abrupt noise had shattered the peculiar mood completely. It felt as though she’d woken from a trance or a dream. Jen shook her head, trying to get rid of such thoughts. “Well,” said Courtney. Three heads snapped to her direction, watching as she flipped her glossy hair. “So now that we are best friends for life,” she smirked, her eyes flashing. “We’re going to do something awesome to celebrate the uniting of our friendship.” The girls grinned at each other shakily.

“Okay,” Lauren conceded in a small voice. “But Courtney, these rings…” she trailed off, looking down in amazement at the sparkling lavender gem.

Courtney leered at the girl. “Don’t worry,” she simpered, her eyes glittering in malice. “They weren’t that much. I could afford them.” The last comment, though Jen didn’t know why, turned Lauren pink with embarrassment. She flushed, shrinking back and ducking her head down.

Suddenly that same odd mood returned. It felt different, almost dark, like a cloud hanging over the four. “Awesome like what?” Kelly asked, coming to Lauren’s rescue. “Will it going to be fun?”

 Jen wanted to shake her but had to settle for doing a mental face-palm. Could no one see what she saw? Could no one feel the palpable tension, the static buzz of energy that pulsed through her veins? Was everyone just ignoring it or did no one feel the ominous presence overhead, the premonition that something terrible was about to occur?

Courtney waved her perfectly manicured fingernails lazily, rolling her eyes. “Please,” she scoffed. “When have I ever done something that wasn’t fun?” She grinned, glancing out the window.

The dark night had settled in like a blanket, covering the quaint, little town. Crickets chirped as leaves rustled in the dark. Stars twinkled like diamonds in the sky. The crescent moon overhead shimmered, bathed in a white glow. The moon had been tilted sideways and looked like the Cheshire Cat, Jen noted with irony. The malicious grin shone brightly in contrast with the night sky. Jen shivered despite the fact that it wasn’t very cold. She had a bad feeling about something.

Courtney cleared her throat, directing the girls’ attention back to her in a not-so-subtle way. “So, since we are much too old do such frivolous activities like make a friendship club,” she snorted, brushing away a stray curl from her perfect face. “I think we should do something more fun. Like a prank.”