Rain Man

"You need to be patient son, this sort of thing doesn't just happen overnight you know. You need to practice, to hone and grow your skills." The man absently ruffled his son's hair and leant back against the wall enjoying the sun's heat as it warmed his face.

"Yeah, I know Dad, but I just wanna help you and Mum."

"You're only ten Billy, you've got plenty of time yet."

"But you and Mum are always out helping people and I want to do the same."

There was a persistent bleeping sound and his father glanced at his watch and stood, stretching his arms. "Well, it seems duty calls son." There was a sudden blur, and the jeans and plaid shirt his father had been wearing moments before were replaced by a smart skin-tight suit with a striking yellow bolt zig-zagging from shoulder to ankle across his torso.

"Honey!" he called into the house. "I gotta go, just had a call from HQ."

A feminine voice replied from the depths of the wooden bungalow. "Okay Arthur, take care of yourself and beep me if you need me."

"The other kids get taken to work by their dads," grumbled Billy.

"The other kids haven't got The Bolt as a father though have they son. One day the world will know you too boy, but for now enjoy being a kid and be good for your mother."

Billy sighed deeply. "Okay Dad, go kick some bad guys for me then."

"Shall do son." The Bolt grinned, ripped off a jaunty salute, then there was a flash and he was gone.

His mother's voice came from inside the house. "Billy, can you go and water the begonias please."

Billy sighed and wandered over to the far corner of the yard where his mother's flowers were drooping sadly in the heat. He bowed his head in concentration and a small, dark, cloud formed a few feet above the flowers, a localised rain shower providing some relief to the flagging blooms.

"And don't forget to wash the car too please, we all need to do our chores."

A small, but powerful, bolt of lightning zapped one of the blooms and his mother leant out from the kitchen window and frowned at him. "As your father said, son, practice makes perfect and getting angry doesn't help."

"Stupid flowers," muttered Billy, once his mother's head had withdrawn inside. "One day I will bring rain to thousands of starving people across the world, I will wash away bad guys wherever they stand. I will fight evil and destroy the forces who would oppress the good." He lifted his arms to the sun above and a small rumble of appreciative thunder came from the petite raincloud hanging over the begonias. 

"Soon the world will know the name, The Rain Man!"

A bucket and sponge were placed into one outstretched hand, and his mother walked away with a small but smug smile on her face.