Chapter 2

Chapter 2

He waits for her, finishing her book that he’d been reading last night and as soon as it’s complete, almost on cue, the doorbell rings. 
He’d sent his housekeeper, Mrs. Gomez, out for the day. A housekeeper being a condition his parents had also insisted upon. Mrs. Gomez, however wasn’t just his housekeeper, more of a glorified nanny-even though he himself believes he doesn’t need one, his overly protective mother demanded it.
Despite that, he’s never appreciated the apartment more.

“Come in,” greets Dane to Emery who shuffles nervously forwards whilst clutching her folder to her chest. It turns him on even more to know she’s nervous but excited nonetheless. 
“Thank you,” whispers Emery sliding past him into his home. 

She’s surprised to find it pretty minimalistic: A plush couch, faux fur rug, plasma TV, glass coffee table all decorate the living room. It’s an open kitchen so she can see the sleek black marble of the counters from where she was lead to sit on the couch and behind her are 2 doors; one which presumably leads to the bedroom and the other probably a utility closet or bathroom. It doesn’t look like a home at all. Where are the family photos and why is it so quiet?

“What would you like to drink, Honey Bee?” he asks, not giving her an option of rejecting the offer. 
“Um..Nothing, thank you. Dane please, can I just have my book and leave?” She begs rejecting the offer anyway. Being alone in this apartment with just him and his newfound knowledge of her secret pleasure is nerve-wracking. And she certainly feels her nerves standing on end from it.  
“I said we may be able to work out something. Not that I’d hand over the book to you so you can just walk away. Now-“

“Dane! Just give me the damn book. I know you don’t want anything to do with me! You’ve made that pretty clear but please, I am begging you just let me survive the rest of these few months of high school!” interrupts Emery, standing up now so he can’t look down so much at her.
With her embarrassment and nervousness of Dane now momentarily forgotten in anger, she just wants to put this whole mess behind her and go on as the invisible girl as always. Though, like any girl she wishes and craves for excitement - for Dane to notice her and pay interest in her, she never wanted it to be like this! This is torture!

Dane can feel his dominant side coming out in anger at her rudeness. Emery must sense it though, since her anxiety returns tenfold when seeing Dane’s clear turquoise eyes darken. His hands shoot out and he reels her in flush against his body. A loud gasp comes from her as she feels his hard dìck against her stomach. Dane also wants to groan when her perfectly rounded breasts press against his torso. 
“Never say that again, Emery. I have and will always want you!” he growls at her, his voice deep and lower than usual. Emery feels her stomach tighten at his words, her heart pounding at his promise and her panties soaking at his voice and feel of his body. 

The slight moment of weakness is dissolved as soon as she reminds herself that his words are lies. She hardens herself and straightens her spine, gazing straight at him.
“No, no you haven’t. If you had you wouldn’t have ignored me. You wouldn’t have completely thrust me aside. Do you think I’m so stupid and desperate as to fawn and fall over you when you feed me these lies now? Just because you’re a Carter doesn’t give you the right to treat me like a toy.”

Dane blinks in amazement. Is that truly what she believes him to be? Does she not understand by keeping his distance, he was protecting her and himself?
“The whole reason I came here was because of you,” he even states.
“What?!”
“Why else would I move out before graduating high school, Emery? I was passing through town last summer, back home from visiting my brother and I saw you. I knew you were my mate, long before you did, Emery. But I needed to wait until my 18th before I could move here.”
Emery’s struck by his confession. Is it too much of her to hope that that’s true? That he really did see her and move to be with her?
“If that’s true then why wait? Why only acknowledge me now?” she shoots back, watching carefully for any hesitance in his reply so she can call him out.
But, just as quickly he simply responds, “because you weren’t ready and I would not have been able to stop myself with you. You’re so innocent Emery. And a few months ago, I thought being my mate would frighten you-drive you away but now I see that’s not true.”