Chapter 8

JASON

Nico's eyes were wild and his forehead sweated.

"I can't do this! Let me up Jason!" His hands tried to push me off.

"You have to do this! I know you can, just please, try," I begged him. He relaxed as best he could.

"I guess this addiction was worse than I thought possible."

"Yeah, I guess it was."

He pulled me down for a kiss, but it wasn't sweet or romantic. It was a distraction, not based off love. But right now it was all about helping, and not what I wanted. His hands ran up my sides under his shirt and his nails dug into my skin.

"Make...this...stop..." He panted. "This is horrible! How long has it been-"

"Three days," I answered calmly.

"I can't stop thinking about them!"

"I know," I cooed, stroking his face with my hands. I was straddling his waist so he couldn't get up.

"I hate this," He said, his voice breaking and tears leaking out of his eyes. "Why did I ever start?"

"I don't know, I don't know."

"It doesn't seem like a lot when you start, one a day, but you start to want more and then you can't stop!"

"I want to stop slowly, cutting it back down to one a day, and then one every other day, but I know if I do that I won't ever stop."

"Okay," The word left my lips and his nails dug into my hips. I pulled his arms away and pinned them above his head.

He blew out a breath of air and chuckled. "I knew there was a kinky side to you, Jason."

"Shut up!" I said, but I was smirking. I leaned down on placed my lips against his. They parted willingly and his tongue rolled against mine in a battle for dominance.

Somehow he managed to roll over so that he was on top. I moved my hands to his waist and let my eyes flutter shut.

The ending of that song, I think it was a Fall Out Boy one filled my head.

And this is you and me

And me and you

Until we've got nothing left.

***

We lay there in the complete darkness still fully clothed and holding hands.

I curled up into Nico's side and his head leaned on my shoulder. I could feel the tremble of his skin and the fear in his eyes gleamed. And in honesty, I had never felt more emotionally connected to a person than now.

My heart pounded through my shirt and my lips were swollen and bleeding.

"You don't have to."

"Don't have to what?"

"Continue helping me. This is awful, what I'm putting you through. I can go to some rehab place, or something."

"No, no. I want to be here for you."

Tell me what you want from me.

"You're my saving grace." He laughed loudly, a perfect, sweet laugh. I did too. I brushed his hair out of his eyes and the fingers of my left hand ran over my neck where a series of hickeys and love bites now blossomed.

His hand squeezed mine and his breathing hitched. "I...love you, you know that?"

"Yeah," I said. "I know that."

We sat in silence for a moment more.

"I love you too."

"I know, Jason, I know."

"Good."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah?"

"When I left, I went to the Underworld. My dad was too busy to care that I was there, and honestly, I was too. I went back to Tartarus, not to relive to nightmares, but to put an end to them. I found my way to the Acheron which was located under a tall cliff. I sat there for three days and three nights, contemplating. Just contemplating." Nico was shaking now.

"I was looking over the edge when my dad found me and took me back to the Underworld. He was worried about me, but ended up giving me the punishment of living with Calypso on Ogygia. I had to stay there for three years. I grew healthier, but not happier. When I could finally leave the island I went to New York. I stayed there for a month or so before the depression came back. Instead of going back to the Acheron I decided to move across the country where I could be closer to my dad, but far enough away from my horrible memories. My dad gave me some money and I bought the house. You know the rest from there." I listened quietly, serenely.

"Thank you," I said finally.

"For what?"

"For not jumping. I don't know what I would've done if you weren't here right now."

"Yeah. I just kept thinking about the people who would find me. My dad? Persephone? Some monsters from Tartarus? After that, the nightmares left. I wasn't scared anymore. I went into Tartarus with the intention of dying, and came out with the help of another. My dad cared enough to save my life."

I squeezed his hand and my head thumped back onto the headboard.

I didn't know how much time passed then in the small, dark room.

But Nico broke it with his beautiful voice.

"I knew a girl once, who had leukemia. I visited her in the hospital every day, and stayed by her side.

"I knew a girl once, who, even though she was sick and dying, always had a smile on her face. And the prettiest smile I had ever seen at that.

"I knew a girl once, and she told me that even though she knows Death is going to come take her away, he'll give her the wings of an angel. She told me this because when she had asked what came after that was what I told her.

"I knew a girl once, the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She was only four years old, but she loved me for who I was. She looked up to me and aspired to be like me.

"I knew a girl once, by the name of Evalynn Bianca Di Angelo, who had the most beautiful black hair and bright blue eyes, and I sang her to sleep every night she was scared." Nico was crying now, and I put my arms around him.

"I knew a girl once, and I still visit her grave every now and then. I lay flowers there on her birthday, and tell myself it wasn't fair that she died.

"I knew a girl once, who was left on my doorstep by a one night stand I had had earlier that year.

"I knew a girl once, but now she's gone." There was a sharp intake of breath and his body was racked with sobs.

"I miss her so much, Jason. I miss my daughter so much." His legs entangled with mine and I held him in my arms. My chin rest gently on the top of that mess of dark hair I loved so much.

"I know you did, Nico. I know you did."

We fell asleep that way, the front of my shirt stained with tears and broken hearts.