The Unforeseeable Predicament

Chapter 12: The Unforeseeable Predicament

Luigi's words echoed relentlessly in my mind. Could it be possible that he wasn't serious? Maybe Amber was right, and for the first time in his life, he had actually obeyed his father's wishes. It wasn't just Luigi's words that sent a chill down my spine, but my mother's as well. Her revelation of an arranged marriage since birth pierced through me like a knife to the back of my neck. In that moment, everything became clear. This was all my mother's doing. She had orchestrated this from the very beginning. Rotti Largo had been watching me for far longer than he had let on. How foolish of me to believe that they would ever allow a mere prostitute to marry into the Gene.Co family.

The rest of the funeral turned into a macabre engagement party. I found myself walking alongside Luigi, being congratulated by the wealthiest and most genetically engineered individuals. I had overcome a surprise solo, a detached bloody face auction, and now an engagement. None of it had been foreseeable. But nothing could compare to the shock of seeing an old client approaching with his wife. Of course, he couldn't recognize me. Everything about me had changed since "The Knife."

"I must offer my congratulations to the happy couple," Nicolai said, shaking Luigi's hand.

Nicolai was married to the most stunning woman I had ever laid eyes on. How could he visit a place like "The Knife" and betray his vows to her?

"Malta, you look beautiful in white," his wife said, her eyes sparkling under the overhead lights.

"Thank you," I replied, trying to maintain politeness and ignore her slimy husband.

"Malta, your solo was absolutely lovely. It's rare to come across a voice with such a unique tone," Nicolai said, reaching for my hand and gently kissing it.

Flashbacks of his slimy body touching mine at "The Knife" flooded my mind.

"Luigi," Amber interjected, grabbing her brother's arm. "The press wants to film our announcement. You'll excuse us, Malta."

The brother and sister hurriedly left before I noticed Nicolai's eyes locked onto mine. He gave a quick smirk, and my entire body trembled.

"We must be off, Malta... lovely to meet you!" Nicolai said, leaning towards me and whispering the rest of his words. "You'll always be Sugar Doll to me." He then kissed me on the cheek before disappearing into the crowd.

Shit!

My feet carried me out of the foyer and into a side street, desperate for fresh air. I tried to erase his words from my mind, but they lingered relentlessly. He knew. How foolish of me to think otherwise. He had been sitting in the front row every night at "The Knife," waiting to see if I would appear. He knew me better than anyone.

My face burned with heat, my body shook, and a heavy, shallow feeling settled in my stomach. I sat alone on the hard cobblestone street, seeking solace.

"Fancy seeing you here," a voice said, snapping me back to reality.

I looked up to find the Grave Robber peering down at me from where I sat. I quickly stood up.

"Don't get up on my account. You seemed somewhat peaceful," he said, leaning against the wall and sliding down to sit.

"You could say that," I replied.

"This isn't the first time we've met in an alley, is it?" he remarked, gazing towards the end of the street where the world continued to bustle.

"At least this time, you didn't have to rescue me from anything," I said, smiling at him. He looked back at me and returned the smile.