Calm Before The Storm

Chapter 29 - Calm Before The Storm

Standing on the balcony, the chilly evening breeze grazed my skin, stirring a whirlwind of emotions within me. I needed a breath of fresh air, as sleep was not coming and the thought of Grave Robber haunted my mind.

My nightgown seemed to cling tighter to me now, a result of the surgeries and my transition to womanhood. It wasn't surprising that my silky babydoll no longer fit as it once did, yet it offered me comfort.

Drawing in a deep breath, anxiety about the coming day washed over me. My fate lay on a knife's edge – victory or death, the only possible outcomes. Regardless of the potential cost, I knew I had to take the risk.

Surveying the world beyond, Sanitarium Island's cityscape appeared so picturesque from this view. No wonder it had been the object of my childhood fantasies, its bright lights a beacon of hope. Now, however, those lights only served to mask the city's grim reality, cloaking its corruption.

Retreating back into my room as the chill of the night air bit through my nightgown, I felt the encroaching winter's cold. Despite the year-round mild temperatures, this was the coldest it had felt in a long time.

My gaze swept over my adolescent bedroom. Despite the unhappiness I experienced in this room, my memories were tinted with nostalgia - applying makeup for the first time, perusing magazines, and figuring out how to self-administer Zydrate. Those days seemed to belong to a different life.

I sat down on my bed, feeling the weight of the decisions I had made and the challenges I had yet to face. The room felt suffocating, filled with memories of a past that seemed so distant now. The thought of Grave Robber lingered in the back of my mind, I couldn't stop thinking about him.

I sprang to my feet with urgency, I started swiftly navigating the labyrinthine hallways of the house. I couldn't resist any longer; I had to see him. Sleep eluded me, and perhaps talking would soothe the restless ache in my soul. But who was I fooling? Talking was the last thing I desired.

With each determined step, my confidence swelled. I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted him like I had never wanted anyone before. It sent a delightful shiver down my spine. For some inexplicable reason, I must be infatuated with him.

Upon reaching the door to his room, I noticed it was slightly ajar, the dim light seeping through the narrow gap. Faint voices echoed from within. Who was he talking with?

My heart pounded in my chest. I couldn't resist the temptation to sneak a glimpse. Peering through the crack, my heart seemed to freeze as if time had come to a standstill. He was not alone.

The Grave Robber, shirtless, held Shilo in a tight embrace. Jealousy and curiosity waged a fierce battle within me, emotions I had never experienced until now. He tenderly kissed the top of her forehead...

As I stood frozen in front of the cracked door, my mind raced with a million thoughts. Should I confront them? Should I storm in and demand answers? Or should I quietly retreat and pretend I never saw anything?

But I couldn't tear my eyes away. I couldn't ignore the feeling of betrayal that was crushing my heart. The sight of Grave Robber and Shilo together, so intimate and comfortable, ignited a fire of jealousy within me that I didn't even know existed.

As they turned towards the door, their gazes locking with mine, a mix of fear and anticipation washed over me. I quickly stepped back, hoping they hadn't noticed me spying on them. My heart pounded in my chest, threatening to burst out of my ribcage.

I turned and ran, tears started to come out of my eyes. What was happening? What was going on with my emotions? It's not like we were together! How could I have been so blind?!