Private's Mentor

Private smiled as he looked at his class schedule. He was now in an actual school, not being tutored by his brothers, or by creepy assassins. Skipper had taken it upon himself to bring Private to his first class. The four of them would meet up at lunch to discuss their day. Private was going into the fourth grade apparently and would be surrounded by other children. Having been tutored, or home schooled his whole life, this was going to seem strange to the young boy.

Skipper noticed his discomfort as they entered the Elementary school area. "Hey, you'll be fine, better even. You're smarter than them just for listening to Kowalski prattle on about his inventions when you were a toddler. This'll be a walk in the park."

"Aye, Skipper, but ... what if the other kids don't like me?"

Skipper ruffled the boy's head. "Come on, Private, it's you! Cute and cuddly, remember? Just like the penguins."

"Yeah... you think they're okay after what happened the other day down by the docks?"

"You mean after that mutation thing? Ha! I'll bet they're fine. Tell ya what, after school we can go and see if they're hanging out at the zoo. I hear the circus will be in town next week, and we can check there if we don't find them at the zoo."

"The circus?"

"Haven't you heard? There's this all animal circus, and the rumor is that four penguins and a couple of chimps are in charge!"

"Ooh, I haven't gone to a circus before."

"Well then, I'd say you're over do for some fun." They were at the door of Private's classroom now. "We'll meet you at lunch, Private."

"Bye, Skippah." Private smiled and waved as he walked into the classroom. A teacher was waiting for him. Private's eyes widened as he recognized the teacher. He had sandy brown hair and bright brown eyes. "The Amarillo Kid?" Private whispered.

The Kid, having lived as an assassin for as long as he could remember, had over sensitive hearing. He looked up and grimaced as his young apprentice entered the room. "Good mornen, Private. I'm Mr. Shell, and I'll be your teacher this year. Have a seat, the other kids 'll be here soon enough."

"Er... right..." Private glanced around nervously. This wasn't his usual classroom that he spent hours with the Kid in. This was one of the rooms that Skipper and the others had described to him from before they lost their uncles. "You're... my teacher again?"

"Funny, ain't it? They tell me I can't go home cuz of what they's did to me, but they'll let me play teacher here for ya just ta keep ya outta trouble."

"Isn't that what grandpa and Skipper are for?"

"Apparently they don't know how to keep an eye on ya well enough or some such nonsense. Director Brine was plumb serious, especially when that wierdo, Doctor Brine disappeared and Doctor Blowhole turned out ta be evil."

"Uh-huh..." Just then, another student turned up and more of them started to enter. 'Right... something's fishy here. The Kid's annoyed with this as much as me, but he's not sure what to do save for follow orders. If he was sent ta kill me, he'd have ta get through the others first, or he could have just done it while I was in here alone with him... He mentioned Director Brine... he hate's that man... he must be warning me about something... I'll have to figure it out later though... I wonder if the other kids will like me?'

As the class went on, Private kept notes on everything that "Mr. Shell" said, just like he did for the Amarillo Kid when he was studying his poisons and antidotes. Private had once made his own poison that was so dangerous, no one knew the victim was dead until Mr. Tux had won the nearby golfing tournament at the exact same moment he fell dead. Today, Private was just glad to be learning some history, mathematics, and even some normal science.

Private smiled as the lunch bell rang. He wanted to get to his brothers and tell them what he learned today.

"Private, a word real quick?"

"Oh, um... sure thing, Mr. Shell..." Private stopped in front of the desk in which his mentor was sitting. "Is something up?"

"Just wanted ta let ya know that I can't play favorites, so don't go looking for any favors for school work, kid." Mr. Shell winked at the young boy. "Now get along wit ya, I'll have an assignment for ya when ya get back here after lunch."

"Right."