Prologue

Copyright Note: I do not own anything to do with the Hunger Games series, only my own character Caroline Winters.

Actress Lookalike - Candice King  Summary: Caroline Winters, the 68th victor of the Hunger Games, winner at 17 years old

Actress Lookalike - Candice King  Summary: Caroline Winters, the 68th victor of the Hunger Games, winner at 17 years old. As with (mostly) every victor, she's struggled with the battle of her sanity since being released from the arena. With the 75th Hunger Games approaching and a rebellion awakening with unrest - can promises be kept and love kept strong through thick and thin?

Flashbacks will be spread throughout the book and this chapter starts with the second book/movie – Catching Fire

"She was brave and strong and broken all at once"

~ Anna Funder ~

She was running as fast as she could, the branches scratching at her arms as she passed with thorns occasionally digging into her skin. She could hear growls echoing from behind her, each getting closer and multiplying as if they were breeding one every second. Her breath came out in harsh bursts, the exhaustion begging her to stop but she knew she couldn't.

If she stopped, even for a second ... she'd die.

A female scream of terror fell through the air somewhere around her but she couldn't quite tell where it was coming from. As soon as it started, it soon vanished as quick as it came. A cannon sounded above her. She dared to look over her shoulder just for a second, thinking she heard the mutts getting quieter, however by doing this, she wasn't looking where her feet were going.

She tripped.

Her body tumbled down to the ground in a painful heap. Her teeth ground together in pain, a wince filling her features when her ankle twisted the wrong way. Her heart stuttered to a near stop when the growls got louder again and by this time, they were so very close. She tried to stumble to her feet again but all she did was fall back on the rotten leaves. As if a minute passed by in a second – she was met with the horrifying sight of three pairs of red eyes staring at her, sharp teeth pointed in a terrifying growl.

She completely froze - not even able to reach for her weapons. She knew there was no chance she'd reach for them in time and her life just flashed before her eyes.

Her scream filled the forest as each mutt pounced on her and tore into her flesh like a shiny new toy. Blood spattered everywhere and all she could see was red. Another cannon echoed in the distance...

...

Caroline Winters, the victor of the 68th Hunger Games, stared out towards the sea, her head resting against the window pane. Her blank expression occasionally letting out a small tear from the corner of her eye as the sun sparkled against the water. It looked so serene, so calm, so inviting ... unlike her. Nothing about her felt right anymore. It's almost like she's fighting every second to even keep a level head above water.