EIGHT

SPIDER-MAN TIME

I sit in the kitchen talking to Lucas while eating crackers when he starts playing the voicemails from our home phone

I sit in the kitchen talking to Lucas while eating crackers when he starts playing the voicemails from our home phone. A man starts speaking about a cooking school in Italy and is asking for mom when she walks in the house.

"When's that do not call list kick in?" Lucas asks and the voicemail continues saying she got into the school when mom turns it off.

"Isn't that the school you've been talking about for forever?" I ask and she nods.

"Yeah" She's acting like it's no big deal, what a humble lady. Lucas scoffs.

"Mom, that's great" He says and she shrugs.

"It's no big deal. I'm not gonna go" She says while beginning to put away the groceries.

"It is a big deal, mom. Come on, it's a huge deal" I say.

"Well, maybe I'll just go some other time" She says.

"No, mom, now's the time. Come on, you put your whole life on hold for us. Every choice you've made, it's been about us" Lucas says and I nod.

"That's the way it's supposed to be. I'm your mother" She says after rolling her eyes.

"And we want you to have this. It's time for you to do something for yourself" I say.

"I'll think about it" She says, making me smile.

"Don't think about it, mom. Do it" Luke says before walking off, leaving mom to scoff.

***

As I'm drying my hair, my phone rings. Carters name shows up and I furrow my eyebrows but answer it anyway.

"Hello?" I question.

"Hey, Ad. I know we were supposed to study tomorrow but I can't, I got a family thing. So, if you're free, we can study tonight?" He rambles and I let a small smile fall on my face.

"Yeah. No ones gonna be home at my house?" I ask.

"I gotta watch Josh, but he won't bother us. I can come get you if you don't have a ride?" I think for a second about it, before nodding then realizing he can't see me.

"Yeah, I can drive myself. Im not completely hopeless" I say and he chuckles. "So, I'll be over in like, an hour?" I ask.

"I'll be here, waiting" I laugh and open my mouth to respond but a small voice comes from his line. "Carter, come play legos with me!" Joshs voice calls out and I laugh.

"Well, I guess duty calls. See you later" I smile as I hang up the phone.

"Talking to lover boy?" Lucas' voice interrupts my thoughts and I turn around to see leaning on my door frame.