THREE

STUPIDERS NOT A WORD, BABE

I watch as Lucas is passed the ball to make the winning shot

I watch as Lucas is passed the ball to make the winning shot. Once the ball goes into the hoop I push through all the basketball players and jump into a hug with Luke.

"I'm so proud of you!" I exclaim while he spins me around. He chuckles and sets me down before celebrating with his team in shouts and cheers.

"Hey, great cheering out there" My mom hugs me after the game and I laugh.

"Thanks, mom. Keith!" I bring him into a hug and he chuckles.

"There's the winning basket shooter" I tease as Lucas comes to join us. Keith and my mom congratulate him with a hug.

"Let's go, Del" Luke wraps an arm around my shoulder as I watch Dan storm away from Nathan, leaving him looking upset.

"I'll meet you in the car" He nods his head before walking out of the gym. I approach Nathan slowly and take a deep breathe.

"Hey, um, you did really good tonight" I compliment him and he furrows his eyebrows at me.

"What? No bitch comment to make? Look, I don't need your pity and I don't want it. Just because we have the same father doesn't mean we're siblings" He spits out at me and walks away, leaving me with my eyebrows raised. I nod my head before walking out to Luke's car.

"Hi, Coach" I greet when I see Whitey walking away from Lucas' car.

"Oh my god!" I exclaim when I open the door to a half naked Brooke in the backseat. She grabs her bag and gives me a small wave.

"Hey, Del" She leaves his car and I start laughing at Luke's flustered figure.

"Holy shit, that's great. That'll never get old" Luke rolls his eyes and starts driving towards the cafe.

"Act sad when you walk in" Luke says as we walk up the concrete steps. Haley looks at us when we enter and we both have glum expressions on our face.

"Twelve points, eight assists. And I made the game winning shot" He says, making a wide smile break out in Haley's face as she squeals and jumps in for a hug.

"That is great, right?" She asks and he nods.

"Yeah, it's alright" He chuckles and Haley frowns.

"I can't believe I had to work! Tell me about it!" She crosses her arms and smiles up at him.

"Well, actually, the beginning wasn't so great. I ran into you know who" He says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Dan? I'm sorry. Do you wanna talk about it?" She asks and I nod, but he just shakes his head.

"Actually, I was thinking about checking out the burning boat" He suggests. "Wanna come?" I shake my head.

"Can you take me home? I'm not really feeling up to it" Luke frowns but nods his head. I zone out and play on my phone while Haley calls her mom and lets her know of her plans.

***

As soon as the bell rings I begin packing away my geometry materials so I can leave before I'm forced to act on the big red 'see me' comment written on my recent test.

"Ms. Scott!" My teacher calls out and I roll my eyes but turn around to walk over to her desk with a fake smile.

"What can I do for you, Mrs. Madison?" She takes a deep sigh before leaning on her elbows.

"Well, this is your second time taking this course and you're not really getting any better. I want you to succeed, so a past student of mine, who is just brilliant, has offered to help you. It will not be easy to graduate if you fail another time, Ms. Scott. Here's a paper with his information on it, his help will be crucial to passing this class for you" She hands me an index card with writing on it as new kids pour into the room. "And here's a pass for your next class" She hands me a post-it note.

"Bye" I mumble as I leave the room and walk to my locker. The bell rings as I unlock my metal storage unit and throw my math book into it. As soon as I read the name on the small slip of paper I groan.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me" I mutter. Written in purple ink was 'Carter Baxon' followed by his phone number and the periods he's in the library. After seeing Carter had a free period at this time, I storm to the library. "What the fuck is this?" I slam the small piece of paper onto the wooden table, making him take out his earbuds and look up at me.

"Looks like I'm your new teacher" He smirks at me and I roll my eyes.

"How are you even a tutor? You're stupider than me" He chuckles at my words.

"Stupider isn't a word, babe. But don't worry, when I'm done with you, you'll be an expert. And not just in geometry" He adds a wink at the end, causing me to scoff and leave the room.

***

"What's got you thinking out here?" My mom asks as she walks out into the porch with two mugs in her hands. I shrug and give her some of the blanket as I stare at the stars.

"It's just that, Mrs. Madison wants me to get a tutor but the tutors an asshole. He's rude to everyone and he's butt buddies with Nathan" I rant and she nods her head.

"Well is he rude to you?" I shrug and think for a while.

"Not really, he just says some suggestive comments sometimes. But Nathan's a grade-A asshole, so" She laughs and shakes her head.

"Just because Nathan's like that doesn't mean this boys like that, and no offense but if he volunteers his time to tutoring people he can't be a terrible person. And you really need to pass geometry" She says and I nod as we sit in peace for a few minutes.

"Well, I'm gonna head in" She pats my knee before getting up. "Don't make your head explode out here. Love you" She kisses my head and goes back into the house. While I'm left on the porch swing to think about the asshole who's smirk will not leave my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you guys SO much for all the love I've been getting with likes and adding to your reading lists.

MY GOAL FOR THIS CHAPTER IS 2 COMMENT AND 3 LIKES

xoxo