Chapter 13

Elena's eyes flickered open. Tiredly, she stared at the ceiling.

What on earth happened?

As her body began to re-adjust to the new day, she recalled the man who had caught her last night. Remembering how he had looked at her, the memory sent a chill down her spine. Her fingers held the bedsheets tight. There had been so much blood. So many bodies lying in pools of their own blood.

The smell of gun powder still seemed very real and she thought she could still smell it. Her fingers rubbed the temples and she closed her eyes to remind herself to force those scenes out of her head. There were other things that needed her attention. Like the wedding she didn't want.

Still sore from the night, Elena remained a moment in the warmth of her bed, trying to shake the cobwebs of sleep. Her body wanted to linger just a little more. The thought of marrying Dean certainly aroused her senses. There was something about him that always had her curious but never able to put her finger to it. Beyond his good looks and macho physique, she had been mortified by his lack of sensitivity. Sometimes she referred to him as a cold-hearted jerk. Yet, he had aroused her and her body betrayed her each time. Her mind questioned so many things... about The Peridot, Dean's contract between him and Gloria, the hurried wedding and last night.

She had been shocked to see for herself how he shot at those men. There was no questions or hesitations on Dean's part as he held the guns and fired away. Every shot had its precision and he knew what he was doing. His body moved fast. He shot in the front and then would swerve around to fire at another coming behind him. This was not a man who only learned to handle guns just yesterday. No, it was in him to kill.

Her fingers dug into her hair. How was she going to get out of this wedding? Dean was determined, more than before, to get married. In the circumstances she faced before, she learned to find peace in the calming voice of her own soul. She listened. However, right now, that voice was as silent as the walls.

Wait a minute!

Her hands were in her hair. Then whose hands are on her stomach? She looked down. A strong hand with a silver bracelet on the wrist, was resting on her body. Her head jerked to look to her side.

Dean!

Immediately, she shot to a sitting position and grabbed a pillow. She slammed it down hard on Dean. His eyes shot open and in an instant, he was up. As she gave another slam, he caught hold of it.

Dean yanked the pillow from her and flunked it to the floor. Her fingers began to claw at his face but he grabbed each of her wrists and pulled her towards his own body.

Elena squeaked as she found herself slamming onto Dean. She tried to pry herself free from his steel hold. Holding onto her wrists, he turned them both and pushed her back onto the bed. Her hands were pulled above her head and he straddled her.

Deliberately, Dean made her feel the weight of his body. Elena stopped struggling. Both were breathing out aloud.