Chapter 12

Copyright © 2020 by J Malhotra

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods. Any resemblance to the characters featured in this story or other similarities will be taken into investigation, should a need arise and if necessary legal actions will also be taken. 

Dean sat alone in the darkness, looking out of the window, but not seeing. He leaned his head back onto the chair and stared at the blackness outside. He always found comfort in these moments. To be alone, with his thoughts. Hearing nothing. He exhaled, savoring the quiet. The darkness covered him like a warm blanket. It was in nights like these, that he had pined for her.

Dean was feeling anything but gladness. Elena was back with him but he knew her head was filled with questions after what had happened tonight. He didn't believe in the concept of coincidence. There was no such thing in his life. He spent his life fighting, surviving, killing, conquering, and woke up the next day, and did it all over again.

Tonight, had been too close. He didn't give a fuck to what happened to him. He lived his life on the edge, prepared for anything. But the war was raging on and it was becoming too personal. Tonight, it had been Elena.

Something told Dean he had to keep Elena by his side always. If she hadn't run from him, she wouldn't have been caught. And the threat that was passed onto her, was meant for Dean. It was him they wanted, not her.

The lights flickered on suddenly and Dean swirled his chair around, momentarily blinded.

"You okay?" Leo stood by the door.

Leo Savino carried himself like a proud lion, confident and his wide shoulders thrown back. Each stride he took was slow and well-paced. He was never in a hurry unless things called for his attention. His short blond hair was razor trimmed at both sides and gathered at the top, slightly parted to the right. As he came near, his green eyes seemed to survey and scorch all that was before him.

Being the second-in-command in the Bishop hierarchy, he was second only to Dean. His father had taken a bullet meant for Alessandro Bishop, the then Don. He had died in the older Don's arms. His son, Leo had been fourteen then. That was the time, Roberto and Liza made their way back to Italy from their exile. Alessandro never wanted Liza in his family. He only sought out females within the Associates' circle to be brides for his sons. Roberto defied that and was cast out.

A brooding Dean and a quieter Leo had formed an unlikely brotherhood. He two boys developed a trust in each other. Liza and Roberto took to the quiet boy and raised him like a second son. Where Dean was fast to react, Leo held back and thought things through. Alessandro recognized the bond between the two brothers and began grooming them. It was from here that the Dean-Leo duo was formed. This was much to Roberto's displeasure who didn't want any of the blood history and power that came with the Bishop name.

"How is she?"

"The doctor gave her an injection. She's sound asleep." Leo sat opposite Dean. "You should be getting some sleep too."