Chapter One

The passing period bell rang loud as everyone pushed past each other to get to their next class. "Adelina! Wait." I turned around to see the flawless face of Angelica behind me. "You should sit with the girls and me at lunch." she said. "I'll think about it." I responded trying to sound like I had other plans. "When you're done thinking let me know." she said in a tone that made it clear she knew what I was up to. She walked off.
Fifth period seemed to never end as I waited for the bell to ring for lunch. But finally it did. I strode to the cafeteria knowing that all the guys were checking me out. I was one of the first in line for school lunch. I had forgotten mine at home. The lunch lady put a queijada on my tray. I stood and looked for Angelica, Belle and Jordan. I saw them sitting at the table in the middle of the cafe. As I walked toward them I heard guy voices saying things like "you can sit on my lap Adelina!" I sat down next to Angelica. She has light brown hair, brown eyes and a straight nose. It wasn't big. Or small. She was perfect. "I thought you'd make the right choice." She said to me and winked playfully. "Don't eat that!" Belle said. "Why not?" I asked. "That stuff is poison." Jordan said. "You're lucky I have an extra slice of pizza you can have." Belle said reassuringly. "Um... thanks..." I replied. "No problem." she said as she handed it to me. "Hey ladies." I heard a voice behind me say. "Hey Cristiano!" the girls said in unison. Angelica stood up and kissed him. "Who's the new girl?" He asked looking me up and down as I stood up to greet him. "I'm Adelina." I said tucking my long, dark hair behind my ear. "It talks." he said teasingly. "Of course I talk." I snapped back. "A feisty one she is. Where you from Adelina?" he said right eyebrow raised. "São Paulo, Brasil." I said back. "Ah, Brazilian. That explains it." He asserted. "Explains what?" I uttered obviously offended. "Oh nothing... nothing." he muttered. "Why don't you go and eat now?" Jordan said to him, annoyed by his presence. "Bye girls." he said in a put on valley girl voice and walked away over-shaking his hips. "He's so hot." Angelica said dreamily. "Totally." Belle agreed.
The bell rang for recess. "So Lina (we're calling you that by the way) what are you good at?" Jordan asked me.
"Uh... Futbol." I said.
"Show us what you got." Angelica challenged.
"I kinda need a ball." I said jokingly. Angelica ran to João and asked for his ball, he of course said yes, for he was mesmerized by her perfect face.
This is my chance. I thought. This is my chance to stay in the clique.

I put the ball in front of me on the ground. I used my foot to pick it up from the ground and juggle it with my knee. 1... 2... 3... 4... I counted in my head. when I got to 50 I was feeling confident. As I juggled I walked backwards and sat on the bench, still juggling. With my other leg, I spun it around the ball while it was in the air and did this about 5 times. People started gathering around me. Angelica watched. I could sense the envy in her eyes. I hit the ball hard with my knee so it was head length and smacked it with my forehead. The ball flew in the air but with my adrenaline, it seemed to be going in slow motion. It went about 250 feet before coming to a fall. The others were clapping. I felt like I had they're approval. But towards the back, there was Cristiano, clapping a slow, sarcastic clap. Like he could do better.