Chap Four: Stuck in the moment

"Neal." I shouted just when the lift gave another shake and I staggered back.

"Whoa." I heard him exclaim but I couldn't see him, it was SO black! I leaned against the lifts back wall and pressed my hand against my heart.

"Oh my God." I whispered when the lift shook again and closed my eyes shut, tight.

"Summer? Summer?!" I heard Neal call but my voice was lost. I heard flailing hands and one hit me across the face.

Ouch, I thought. I couldn't even say a word.

"Heck, I'm so sorry." I heard Neal mutter and then his hands palmed my cheeks and held my face.

"You okay?" He asked softly, I gulped and nodded. He already thought I was a scared little girl and if I told him that I was scared of the dark he'll probably think of me as a wimp.

My hand was still pressed against my heart and I could feel it beat rapidly.

"What's happening?" I gasped when the light flickered and I saw Neal's face directly in front of me, he looked worried.

"Technical problem, I guess. But don't worry, I'm here." He said and I felt his hands slide away from my face.

"Neal." I said in a panicky voice groping for him.

"I'm here, baby. I'm right here." I heard his voice and I sighed but for the life of me, I couldn't take a step ahead. I heard him flicker with the buttons but nothing happened.

"Shit." He muttered, my mind was reeling, though. Every worse thing that could happen came to my mind then. What if the lift fell down?! We would die and be so disheveled that nobody wouldn't even recognize us!

"Neal, we're going to die." I whispered, scared.

I hated the dark, hated it so bloody much.

"No, we're not." He said, awfully calm but I saw him slide out his phone from his pocket.

"No signal." He muttered.

"I don't want to die!" I whispered, at least not like this! Not in an elevator! I remembered the awful dreams I used to have. And a shudder went through me.

"I'm scared." I whispered again and tears filled my eyes, God, now I wanted to die. I was embarrassing myself soo much in front of him.

"Don't be. I'm here, Summer. We'll get outta here." He said and once again I was shocked by the intensity in his voice. I had known him for a day and his voice was already sending ripples down my spine.

"Neal." I whispered and my heart thumped even more. What was happening here? Why being close to him was almost making my heart want to pop out?

Neal took his phone out and there was a flicker of white light. His face became visible and he smiled. My world made a 180 degree twist. My fear went through the window, metaphorically speaking when I saw him smile.

"It'll be okay, just hold this and keep the light on." He said and handed me his phone. I nodded and kept the light on. Neal explored every inch of the elevator he could, I noticed the time on his watch and I almost gasped. It was 7:30pm! It had been more than 30 minutes since we got stuck here.

"The main power's off." Neal muttered and my blood ran cold.

"That means we're stuck here till morning." I said, shocked.

"No, no. Javier comes for a round around 8:30, if we bang and make some noise, he'll hear us." Neal said and I was definitely frozen, now.

And to make matters worse his phone beeped thrice and then the battery went dead.

"Neal!" I shrieked and heard his utter profanities. I was shell-shocked and oh so scared. I was going to die in this .. this .. box with the guy who's smile robbed me off speech.

I was going to be stuck in this moment forever.

"Okay don't panic. Do you have anything that might give us some light?" He questioned and it took my brain sometime to register what he had said and then the answer hit me.

"No." I whispered and nearly had a heart-attack. I tried to gulp back my tears but a sob escaped me.

"Hey, Summer, don't cry, baby." I heard Neal say and then a pair of strong arms surrounded me like a blanket, trying to keep me safe. He wiped my tears and soothed my turmoil mind, I burrowed my head in his chest and let out a heavy sigh.

Well if I look at the bright side then if it wouldn't for the elevator I wouldn't get such a handsome man beside me beside me before I died.

"Trust me, I'll get you outta here." He whispered in my hair and I nodded.

At that moment I trusted him with my life.