Chapter 19 : Betrayal

I've spent a week looking for this girl. Even with the vague hints he's given me, I still can't figure it out! Where is she? I've been stressing myself out trying to find her, going out almost daily attempting to hunt her down.

Everyone around me has noticed, but only Isaac knows what I'm actually doing. Every time he sees me looking, he gives me a look of disappointment and walks away. It's not like he's in this situation, I am. And I'm running out of time.

So far I know she's a girl and is a brunette. That's just about it. Damn, I wish he gave more clues. I've checked up on every brown-haired girl in this pack that's around his age. Once again, I've come up with nothing.

If I don't find her soon, the bond will keep growing before anyone has the chance to sever it. I'm signing myself up for heartbreak, but it's inevitable either way.

I've seen what rejection looks like, and it isn't pretty. I don't know how I was so open to it a while ago. Maybe it was just my subconscious trying to break it off while it was fresh, that way it'd hurt less.

But with my luck, things didn't exactly turn out as I was hoping.

I've got almost everything planned out. I would first find myself a replacement, wait until everything was ready to go, then slip a file onto his desk or something so he could find out that way. Less explaining on my end.

After that he'd surely reject me then I'd go rogue. Well, that's the tricky part. I don't exactly know where I'm going. I paced around my bedroom trying to figure it all out.

My mind was practically blank, I had absolutely no clue of what I'd do after going rogue. I could probably just wing it, go into hiding. I mean Isaac did it for years and look at him now. He's perfectly fine!

I ended up just forgetting about it for the day, enjoying my time here while it lasts. I lay on my bed, feeling comfortable laying on the sheets as I began to daydream.

****

Kayden's POV

I heard a few knocks on the other side of my office door, "Come in," I called, still trying to finish up some paperwork.

The door opened slowly only to reveal Isaac entering the room, "Hello King Giordano," He greeted, "I came here to talk to you about Charlie." My neck almost snapped to look over at him.

"Charlotte? What did you want to speak about?" I asked, finally interested in something this mutt had to say.

"Well you see, she hasn't been herself lately, you've seen it." I nodded. She has been acting extra jumpy, constantly asking about some girl I was supposedly interested in. Silly girl, was she on crack? The only girl I'm interested in is her.

Isaac continued, "I promised not to mention anything, but she's getting worse and the only person I could think to tell was you." He said sheepishly.

My blood boiled, "What do you mean she's getting worse?" I spoke slowly, I thought she was fine, getting better at the least. I knew she was having trouble sleeping, and some issues back at home, but that was the extent of it.

"I don't know much about it, but ever since she was kidnapped by rogues--" That's obviously not what I was thinking. I grabbed him by his throat and slammed him into my wall.

"Rogues!?" I grit.

"Yes rogues," He said sharply, prying my hands off his throats quickly, "She was taken when she was twelve and she got out just recently when she ran into your pack, seeking asylum."

My heart broke in two and I struggled to not punch a hole through the wall out of rage, "Well what happened to her?" I asked in a deadly calm voice. I will kill anyone who dares hurt my mate.

"It's not my story to tell. Just please, make her stop with this crazy search before it's too late." Search? I wondered.

I nodded to him, excusing him from my office. My wolf was clawing at the surface, begging to get to our mate, to make sure she was okay.

Today was the day I was going to get answers, and I'm going to get them.

As I stormed out of my room to go find hers I could already hear shouting from upstairs, "You traitor! You said you wouldn't tell him! I haven't even found her yet," I heard Charlotte cry. What the hell was she talking about?

"I'm so sorry Charlotte, I just didn't want to lose you," Isaac begged. Wow, I guess he was serious when he said he wasn't meant to tell anyone.