Chapter 3 : Regret

A week of bed rest went by quickly as my ribs healed. Not once did my mate come to visit, I only came in contact with the same doctor and Sebastian, the only person who cared enough to check up on me.

The doctor was otherwise known as a healer, and although she couldn't completely heal all my wounds—for some were too severe—most of the pain subsided. All that was left behind were scars and faint bruises.

Finally deciding to venture off on my own, I left the bedroom in search of the kitchen. The bland "protein-packed" meals I was given everyday were getting boring, and although I should be grateful for receiving any food at all, my body craved sugar.

Carefully walking down the stairs, I looked at the walls and decorations in awe, having not seen such things since I was only a preteen. I wondered to myself, how old am I now?

I surely don't look the same as I used to. Soon realizing I had found the kitchen, I rummaged the cabinets only to find a candy bar along with a few cookies. I was elated, sugary snack such as these seeming so surreal.

I scarfed them down, nostalgia washing over me. I threw away the trash, startled when the sound of a hand slamming down on the kitchen counter met my ears.

"What are you doing?" The King boomed, glaring down at me with harsh eyes.

He was so beautiful, yet he looked back at me with so much disgust it physically hurt. "I-I just wanted something to eat."

"I pay that wretched doctor to feed you thrice a day, do I not?" He questioned, an eyebrow raised.

"To feed me dog shit? Sure," I muttered, "I'd rather die than spend another minute here," His eyes darkened, clearly he had heard what I said.

"Do not disrespect me, little girl. You are never to leave me or this pack, understand!?" He seethed.

I remained silent, The Kings anger feeling so similar to the rogue Alpha.

Time slowed as his hand slapped across my face with full force. Then, he slammed me back into the wall yet again. His hands, grabbing my neck with so much force I almost thought it would snap.

Hurt washed over me as pain shot through my head. I flinched, trying to get out of his grip.

"You're hurting me," I rasped. His eyes flashed yellow, a sign his wolf had taken over almost completely. His hand continued to apply constant pressure to my neck.

In a desperate attempt to free myself, I clawed at his hands, pleading, "Why are you doing this?" I choked out, "I thought we were mates," A traitor tear leaked from my eye.

Remorse briefly passed through his expression as his grip immediately loosened, his eyes going back to their usual mesmerizing blue. "I, Charlotte Woods, formally--" A hand clasped over my mouth, inhibiting me from fully rejecting him.

His arm slackened, and I took the opportunity to release myself from his hold. I sprinted out of the pack doors, my legs carrying me faster than ever before.

I ran until I could no longer hear the loud snarls of his wolf chasing after me. He must've given up.

Once my pace had completely slowed to a mere walk, I found myself at a cliff's edge, overlooking a river bed of jagged rocks. I slumped down against the nearest tree, my heart throbbing in pain.

My breaths grew ragged and shallow. I wheezed in and out, clenching my fists tightly as if it would help get rid of all of my memories. The Alpha King did not want me as his mate and I knew I was not fit to be his Luna.

A cool hand pressed against my shoulder, making me jump. "Charlotte, it's me." Came Sebastian's voice. I couldn't seem to relax. My throat felt like it was closing in on itself and I struggled to find air.

"What is happening to me?" I panted, tears pooling in my eyes. The sharp stinging in my cheek was no help, only reminding me of all the suffering I have been put through.

"I think you're having a panic attack." He said, calmly trying to focus my attention. "Just count with me, okay?"

I nodded, gasping for air. "1..2.." We counted slowly in unison. My head continued to spin as my breathing grew more shallow. I could feel my heartbeat in my fingertips and I felt shaky all over.

"What did you do to her?" Another voice demanded, easily recognized as the King's.

I yelped before covering my head with my hands. Sebastian released his light hold on my shoulders before standing up.

My mate was here and angrier than ever.

"I should be asking you the same question!" Sebastian said, gesturing to me. The King stared at him, their eyes glossed over as they spoke through the mind link.

"You can't be upset when this is clearly your fault." Sebastian spat at his superior.

"You don't think I know that?" He shouted back, making me press further into the tree.

"If you did, you would never lay a hand on her. I can't believe you right now!"

Their menacing voices rang through the air, making it all the harder to halt the flow of my tears. I pleaded for them to stop arguing, but neither would listen to what I had to say.

"Just stop! I can't take this anymore!" I shouted at the two, standing up before walking away.

"Charlotte, stop. You can't walk there!" Sebastian called after me.

"Watch m—" A deafening scream fell past my lips as the sound of rock crumbling beneath me resonated through the forest.

Before I could fall to my impending death, muscular arms made their way around my hips at supernatural speed, falling back just fast enough to avoid the drop.

The force knocked the air out of my lungs as I laid against the ground, a searing pain ran through my head. "Hey, stay awake." The King said, shaking my arm gently. I shook my head no, but the pain that occurred because of it grew too much.

He picked me up as him and Sebastian began to run back to the pack house, me still laying limply in his arms like a rag doll. "You should've let me die," I sobbed, shaking uncontrollably. His face held no emotion as my eyes began to flutter shut, ignoring the pleas coming from both men to stop me.

MAJOR EDITING & REVISING DONE TO THIS CHAPTER