19. Adelaide

The months passed as if that's what they always have done. As if nothing had changed. As if the world wasn't a different places.

And I was carried along in their midst as they passed.

And it seemed that I, like the months, couldn't sit still. That I, like everything around me, was taking part in some sort of spring metamorphosis.

We had been living in a house full of cracks and in the winter those cracks had filled with ice and grown larger. But now it was Spring and the ice was melting and the cracks had begun to fill with flowers.

Flowers from seeds we that we had planted.

Seeds we had gathered from places like under the big oak in the park over looking the bay and the kitchen at twilight with the windows cracked open to let in the Spring air and the May Day festivities downtown when he looked as if he could conquer the world when I held his hand in front of everyone.

Our home, which had so long been full of so much unrest was becoming a place of respite.

Only a few things were in the way.

First their was Kitty and Harry's constant bickering. They were hot and cold. One day they would be okay and the next they were at each other's throats. But I had never seen that look in my sister's eye before. And though she had always been guarded I think I knew that there was more there than the grief she had been struggling to shake. And some days when they would come running in from the rain together after minding the chickens or milking the goats there was a little less grief and a little more of that look I thought I recognized.

I know it's unladylike to say, but she was just being so damn stubborn. And I wasn't entirely sure if she knew the reason why.

The only other cloud was that there was still no word from Art. The twins were growing. They were nearly six months now and growing lovelier and louder by the day and he wasn't here to witness it.

I thought of these things as I dusted a shelf in the kitchen that I knew Kitty would come back and do after I had finished. Despite this I was enjoying myself with half my skirt tucked into my waistband and my hair wild.

I sang as I worked and hashed out the issues of the world until I heard the clearing of a throat on the other side of the screen door.

With a start I jumped down from my perch on the counter and yanked my skirt into place before turning to face whoever was there.

I breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of the postman.

"Mail's here!" I shouted to the house at large as I accepted a bundle of envelopes from him. We had only been having our post delivered since the war ended and it seemed such a rich luxury.

The pile was made up of a few letters for other members of the house and a few bills that I would leave for Father or Kitty, but a battered envelope caught my eye.

It was unclear how long it had been in the post and it didn't have a name marked on the outside only the address of our house.

I ripped it open, curious. It was a letter written on just one page in neat script that matched that on the envelope. Script I didn't recognize.

"I'm not entirely sure who lives here, but in the desperation of my search I am determined not to leave any stone unturned. And the chances by which this address fell into my hands seem too strange to ignore..." It began.

But as I kept reading I knew I shouldn't because one thing was clear. This letter was not for me.
____________________________________
Okay a few things really quick:
1. Who is the letter from/for?
2. Harry in a kilt.
3. I published a new story! And it would mean a lot to me if you went and checked it out and let me know if it's something people are interested in.
4. Love you all!