7. Adelaide

"Again, again!" cheered the little boy in my
arms as we trudged up the hill.

Laughing I let a shout of false aggravation as I carried him the last few steps to the top. He plopped to his bottom and placed mittened hands on his chubby cheeks.

"We take babies dis time?" he asked.

I laced up one of his boots that had come untied and explained, "Roy, Darling, the twins aren't big enough to sled. They have to stay inside and be warm with momma."

"And Wottie?" he questioned.

"Lottie wanted to be warm to. She's inside with Kitty, baby."

He nodded in concentration as he placed himself on the sled in front of me.

"Juss us," he sighed.

"Am I not fun enough for you?" I teased.

I had offered to take him and his sister off of their mother's hands for a little bit to work off some of their energy on this beautiful snowy day, but Lottie had preferred to stay inside and help with the chores. At four she was maturing into a little housewife already.

"Wet's juss go down," he answered.

"Need a push?" said a voice behind us.

We turned to see Pierce emerging from the barn, a cap pulled tight around his ears.

"If you don't mind staying out in the cold a minute longer," I smiled trying my best to appear coy.

"Ah this is nothing," he laughed, "I'm from the plains."

"Oh that's right. Well then with all that experience you must be the best sled pusher."

"Yup," he answered placing his hands tentatively on my back, "Scoot a little bit forward."

I obeyed pulling Roy, who was growing impatient, all the way on to my lap.

Suddenly he was running and throwing his lanky figure onto the sled behind me, "The trick," he shouted, "Is stealing a ride from the push-ee when you can."

Roy cheered as we catapulted down the hill and I couldn't help but feel the burn of Pierce's arms around us.

We came to a quick end in a snow bank Roy and I had piled up when had first seen the snow this morning and intended to build a snowman. The burn of strong arms quickly disappeared as he yanked his arms back awkwardly.

Roy spun around to face me as he jumped to his feet and I gave him my full attention. His face was painted rosy from the excitement and the cold and at the moment the excitable young child seemed less daunting to address than the young man who was jumping to his own feet behind me.

"Fanks for the push," cheered Roy, "Iss way more fun than juss Laidy."

Pierce let out a laugh, loud and full of memories, and crouched down next to me.

"Well, boy, we're partners then. Just call me up when you want to sled and we'll just cut out the middle man here," he teased, jutting a thumb in my direction.

I shouted in what could be considered a very unladylike manner and then continued in that vein by grabbing a handful of snow and tossing it in his direction.

He looked at me, an exaggerated expression of alarm barely hiding a grin, "Well miss-"

"Adelaide!"

I turned quickly feeling the blush growing from the collar of my warm coat to my cheeks.

"Momma!" shouted Roy racing past us as fast as his short legs would take him.

"What it is it?" I asked following, the look on Marjorie's face erasing my embarrassment.

"Art," she spoke bending to pick up her son, "there's word."
---------------------------
Here's some Valentine's Day love from my single as heck self. Stay tuned.