Kidnapping isn't a crime. Right? Chapter 9

"I don't think that's a good idea."

She looked at me. "Why not there's nothing left to lose." She paled as she noticed what she had said. "Lincoln I'm-"

"Actually we were," I cleared my throat trying to clear the burning lump in my throat, "just about to leave."

"Gosh, Lincoln don't be like that." she said under her breath. She wasn't looking at me as she said it. She was looking up at the sky. It was like she couldn't look at me because she was ashamed.

"Be like what Jenna?"

"Stop acting like this is my fault! We couldn't keep going the direction we were headed." Her voice got softer hardly audible, due to the now violent waves crashing the supports of the dock.

"You broke up with me."

"I know that! Gosh Lincoln! You don't think I regret that?!" She grabbed her hair in fists. Her eyes were closed, forehead creased. Her cheeks were a mere pink, a sign of frustration. "Don't you think that it hurt me to see you with that girl. Don't you think it hurt when the guys stopped talking to me. Heck Seth wouldn't even speak to me. He's my cousin!"

It was silent after that. I stood there not saying anything. She didn't either. Lu was sitting on the ground acting as if she weren't listening, she was probably trying not to since she was humming to herself. But even that led me to believe that she was still listening.

"So how have you been, and MaryAnn?"

"MaryAnn's gone." Was all I said not saying more or elaborating. She had no right of knowing my business, the same as I, having no right to know her business. But even that didn't stop me from asking her, "How have you been, and your boyfriend, Class of 2005 Star Quarterback?"

"I've been good." Then she looked away. "And fiancée would be a more accurate term." I looked at her confused. Then she raised her left hand. I saw something sparkle from her ring finger. I narrowed my eyes, studying it, observing it, scrutinizing it. But no matter how hard I looked at it, it was still there. There was a ring sat right on her ring finger, on her left hand.

I abruptly turned around. "Let's go Lu." I picked her up off the ground and quickly headed towards the car.

"Hey!" I heard her start running towards us. "Hey! Wait!" She stopped in front of us.

"It was forced. I don't want to get married." She looked out into the vast ocean. Her face scrunched up as she tried not to cry, she eventually gave up on that and one tear slowly streaked down her cheek. "At least not to him." She said as she faced me again.

"Can I at least explain?" she whispered.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, but I have to go."

And that was when Lu stepped in. She jumped out of my arms and took my hand. "Can you excuse us for a moment, please?" Lu asked politely. Jenna nodded. Lu started pulling back to where was stood before, but she turned around and said, "Stay right there, don't go anywhere."

When she stopped pulling me she started pacing. Then like earlier she started speaking French again. "Est-ce que vous êtes fous ? Les garçons n'utilisent jamais leur intelligence. Il est comme Jimmy Kent. Il dit que vous m'aime embrasse alors Mindy. Oh et Matthew-"

"Lu." She kept going. "Lu!" She still kept her rant going. Talking about how I'm crazy and that guys don't use their intelligence. And I think she said that I'm like this dude named Jimmy, and that he kissed her, then kissed this other chick named Mindy. I mean come on she's like what, four years old and there's already THAT much drama in your life? Yeah, not on my watch. "Lux Crystel Bright!"

That's when she stopped pacing. She looked up at me with wide eyes. I stared at her wide eyed. Man I was worrying about others getting attached to Lu when I'm the main one attached. I don't know I get this feeling that if she goes, I go. As in if Lu's gone, out of my life, then I think I'm gonna turn back into the person I fear the most, and that scares me.

I cleared my throat. "Wow, did that guy really kiss Mindy after he told you that he likes you."

"Yeah, but I punched him in the face." She smiled a little as did I.

We were desperately looking for a change of subject.

"Wha-what a jerk."

"Yeah, um." She cleared her throat looking around her. "I think you should talk to her."

I nodded. "You think so?"

"Yeah."

"But what about you? Aren't you going to be bored or something."

"I'll... uh, be fine. Just go." She made a gesture, but I could tell that she was distracted.

"Umm... okay lets uh... we should like... over there... and uh..."

"We should go back... over... there... and yeah."

We nodded, then fist pounded each other, before head back towards Jenna, trying to ignore what I had said earlier, but I could tell that trying to forget that would be harder then it seems.

Fact #2

Lu's name is not Lux Crystel Bright

Realization #3

Letting Lu go will be harder then I thought

Fear #3

Letting Lu go