Fate Of A Traitor - III

Sebastian was sitting behind the work table in his study, jacket off, tie loose, brows furrowed and drowning in the mountains of paperwork when his wife waltzed through the doors with a burst of fresh air.

“Sebastian! Sebastian!” She squealed excitedly. There was nothing he could do but put down the pen, smile and shake his head as she swept across the room, landed on the familiar spot upon his lap and entwined her hands behind the back of his head.

“And good afternoon to you too, dearie,” he cooed and pecked her lips, making her giggle, “I see you made it home before dark. How was your day?”

“Absolutely amazing!” She beamed,”I see yours have been as well,” she teased, gesturing at his loaded desk.

“Hey, don’t mock me, missy. Someone has to put food on the table in this house.”

A thoughtful silence descended once their laughter had finally died down.

“I saw a fortune teller today, at the carnival,” She said looking into his green eyes.

“Oh yeah?” He replied casually suppressing the little voice inside his head telling him something was off.

“Yeah, she’s a gypsy and has the most bizarre hair I have ever seen!” The voice was getting louder but he casted it aside, deeming it nonsense, “She knew about our problem. She said she can help us. She can help us have the baby we’ve never had, the baby that we’ve so long yearn for.” The voice was starting to win. He ought to cut her off, to tell her that it’s ridiculous and it’s furthest from wise to listen to weird stranger at a carnival but the hope and desperation in her eyes made him stop and kept his silence. “But she said I need to bring you along. I know you’re very busy with your job and all but we’ve wanted this for so long, honey. I can’t let up the chance. What do you say?”

He looked at her, the struggle could not be detected in his eyes.

“What’s her name?”

“She said it’s Florica.”

Trying hard to cover up the sharp intake of breath, he gave in to her pleading.

“I’ll tell Bob I’m busy tomorrow morning and cancel my meetings.”

Gwen squealed in delight and hugged her husband tight.

“I love you, darling!”

“I love you, too,” he muttered into her hair as the voice screamed and raged within his head, swearing at what he knew to be a terrible decision.

One could never escape his past.