I Watched Wicked Deeds Rolled Off My Own Tongue - II

“James?”

“Yes, milady?”

“Why won’t he love me, James?” She asked, her ruby lips pursing out in a childish pout. The demon paused to consider its reply.

“He will in due time, milady,” the creature breathed in its signature snake-like voice, its sharp teeth ever gritted together, “All in due time. 

Annoyed and frustrated, the girl huffed out a puff and turned on her back. The small body of hers draped lazily over the massive gold and red velvet throne, legs dangling over the sculpted armrest. Her powdered white skin provided pronounced contrast to her painted red lips and elaborately drawn eyes. In a mockery of a prim and proper lady, her tiny torso was tightly squeezed into and embroiled white bodice sewn skilfully into a multi-layered skirt that now lay ruffled in the most inappropriate manner around her waist. The exposure gave full view to her slender legs, clad in thigh-high red and white stripped socks and her feet donned with the strangest red ankle boots. She surrounded herself in an innocent and amiable exterior, drowning out the evil that bloomed from her blackened heart.

“When IS due time?” She whined, throwing the blood red rose she’d been caressing in her hand onto the marble floor and jerking herself straight up in a furious tantrum, “‘All in due time, all in due time’, that’s what you always say!” At this point, her arms started to wave heatedly and her feet stomped, “I’ve been waiting patiently, oh heaven knows how patiently. I’ve stripped him off everything, stripped him off all the pleasure in the world. So that he would see love and beauty nowhere but in me. In me! So tell me, James, why doesn’t he? He needs to, he has to, he must. But why doesn’t he, James? WHY. DOESN’T. HE?” Her voice rose to an inhumane screech of a banshee, echoing wickedly in the massive stone hall. Her eyes glowed red and the wind picked up, swirling violently around her enraged form.

The demon cowered against the massive pillar it was standing by, fear scripted itself in its small black eyes as the wrinkled pointy ears attached to misshapen bald head trembled in fright. The mistress was not pleased.

As soon as it started, the wind died down and everything lapsed into absolute silence and stillness. She turned on her heels, a sugary smile lit up her pale face.

“I’m bored, James,” she pouted sweetly, her brown eyes large and round like those of a puppy, “Can you please go and fetch my beloved Dante for me? We’ll just have a little fun, I promise.”

Gulping hard, the demon managed to somewhat regain his posture. 

“Yes, milady,” it said in a raspy voice and scurried away. There were now marks on the stone pillar where the sharp claws of its malformed hands had dug in a midst the mistress’ tantrum.

The angelic smile spread on her face again as the figure of her servant disappeared behind the giant oak doors. Humming cheerily, the girl bounced her way back to the dais that her throne sat upon, picking up the discarded rose along the way. She laid down backwards on the seat with her striped legs propped straight up against its high back and her ebony hair cascading down onto the floor. Tiny fingers picked at the blood red petals absentmindedly.

There was no sound in the massive hall apart from her wordless aria carrying itself through the air. Like an invisible trail of smoke, the melody danced in the empty space, swirled around the tall stoic pillars, lingered idly upon the mirror ceiling and flew back for a game of ‘hide and seek’ around the extravagant throne, the only ornament in sight 

Time ticked on without her acknowledgement and soon, the giant doors of the hall swung open. Solemnly with its eyes down cast, the demon servant entered the hall, hovering gloomily just above the ground.