Prologue

I was 4 years old when my parents died. They died in a car accident on their way home from dinner one night. An eighteen wheeler blew a stop sign and crushed their car. They both died on impact. I was asleep when the police called my house. My neighbor, who was watching me, called his mom to tell her what happened, asking for help. I was later put up for adoption. No one in my family wanted to take care of me nor could they afford to. Instead, I was put into multiple adoption centers, bouncing between foster homes before I was finally given a home. I was able to stay in Canada with my new family for a few years, but I left everything behind. My whole life was left in Nova Scotia.

When I had meetings with the families that were interested, I just sat in the chair silently staring at them. They would ask questions and I would sit there and not answer. They would get angry and leave the house, saying I was a waste of time.

One day, I was watching a hockey game in the living room. I remember it was The Maple Leafs and the Bruins. The Bruins were winning and I was loving it. My foster mother pulled me out of the living room and into one of the side rooms where a family that was interested was sitting. I went in and there sat Bobby Orr and his wife, Peggy. I sat down and didn't say a word.

Peggy asked all these questions and I just stared at Bobby. He stared right back. Mine was a curious stare while his was a soft, inviting stare, nothing like what he portrayed on the ice during his career.

After about ten minutes he broke the eye contact and looked at Peggy saying, "I think we're done." He got up and left the room followed by a shocked Peggy. I went back to the living room and continued to watch the game.

Towards the end of the third period, the couch sank and I looked over to see Bobby sitting next to me.

"You like hockey, eh?" He asked. I nodded my head not taking my eyes off of the tv.

"You know who I am?" Again, I nodded my head. "How about after the end of this game, you go pack up everything you have here and we can go home, yeah?" I looked over at him in pure shock. "You're and Orr now." He said with a smile. I looked back at the tv, trying to process what was happening. I didn't even finish watching the game before I ran upstairs to pack my belongings. I couldn't believe that I was now the daughter of the greatest hockey player in the world.