An Empty Feeling

My cheeks heated up in embarrassment once I realized what the class was snickering about. I hadn't realized I had been staring open mouthed at Matt Davidson. Of course there were inappropriate comments floating around the room stating the non-existent 'undying love for an older man' I have for Matt, that didn't surprise me. What surprised was the fact that both Matt, and Joseph, started lecturing/yelling at the class to quiet down, and I quote, shove their comments up their butt or he'd do it for them. I'm pretty sure you can figure out who said what to the class. I immediately came back to reality. I was sitting in the middle of the class with Joseph threatening the class on my behalf, my peers jokingly teasing me, and most importantly, my moms most trusted friend, Matt Davidson, was standing less than a few feet away from me.

"Now class, listen up, and listen well because I'm only saying this once. I am giving you home period to do whatever you need to do, wherever you need to do it. So long as it's not in the classroom. I will be using this class during homeroom. I expect you all to be in your first period class, because I will be personally contacting each of your teachers. My name is Matt Davidson, but you will know me as Matty, D-man, or Mr. Davidson, take your pick. I will be your teacher for the rest of the school year, because your former teacher had a family emergency to deal with. If any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to write them down and save them for tomorrow. Now, I expect a bunch of teenagers would like to have fun, right?" He left the question hanging in the now dead silent classroom. Then as if on cue, the class erupted into shouts of, "YEAH!" , "AMEN TO THAT" , and "duhh."

Matt chuckled and then continued to address his students, " Well then, I suggest you all work your hardest in here. Now, I don't know where Drake got his information, but yolo is most defiantly not the motto. Work hard, play hard, will be the class motto. Now, get out of here you hormonal teens!" He finished with one of his smiles that you couldn't help but return. The class gave the whoops, and fist pumps of approval. Well, looks like Matt would sure be loved at this school by my peers. On their way out, some students high-fived and fist bumped Matt, like they've been buds since grade school. Then again, Matt has that personality about him. I remember way back when he would always come over to our house just to see my sister and I. I always thought of him as an uncle growing up. Although he's only 4 years younger than my parents, I had always thought of him as a teenager.

Just as I was about to walk through the door with Joseph and Kel, having no idea where we were going, I felt a familiar warmth envelop my wrist. I snapped my head around and stared back into the warm brown eyes that belonged to the man who abanded our family, a man named Matt Davidson. "Violet, could you hold up a minute, please? We need to talk." He let the statement hang, as if he were almost uneasy being around me. Well he should be. After all, he was my mom's most trusted friend, and my sister and I's favorite play mate, when all of a sudden he just got up and left without so much as a good-bye. If that weren't bad enough, he left a month before my parents' death. I am honestly a reasonable person, but wouldn't you agree, that was a bit odd?

I didn't think he had been the murderer, just because he left us doesn't mean he's a killer in my mind. He has the largest, most caring heart, he would never have it in him to do something as cold-blooded as that. With my thoughts turning bitter, thinking of what horrible man could murder my parents, I looked straight up into his eyes and held his soft gaze, with a hard one of my own. "Violet, are you alright? I looked back and you weren't there." Joseph voice came up behind me.

Concern and worry laced his voice, which made me smile a little because he was so thoughtful. Then I realized Matt still had my wrist and was staring at me. I snappily tugged my wrist from his hold and gave him one last hard glare, before turning around to face Joseph and Kel. "Yeah I'm fine guys, let's go eat, I'm starving!" I said to them with a smile, as if I had not just seen someone I use to love like family. "You're always hungry. I hope you're saving up for dinner with her, Kel!" Joseph jokingly teased me. We all had a good laugh and once again turned to head for the door.