Chapter 4: Settling In

                      "When we are no longer able to change a situation - we are challenged to change ourselves.

      ~Viktor E. Frankl

She had gotten lost four times before she pulled up back into that apartment. The area she was now in was in no good condition and didn't understand why people wanted to live here. The streets were damaged, old cars were lined up on the curb and some in no use, collection dusky.

The grass was dry and dead. She passed by a broken fire hydrant, but there were no worries. Kids of all ages ran through it to cool down from the scorching sun. She didn't understand why everyone was so happy living like this.

Rae studied the outside of the building and sighed deeply. This had to be an imitation of hell. Men surrounded the doorway throwing dice and money everywhere, their voices loud. Women sat in white lawn chairs as others braided their hair in pajamas. Did they not get dress in the morning before coming outside? The environment was horrible.

Rae didn't want to pass by them and risk the chance of getting jump by angry black people, but she refused to sit in the hot truck and get stared down by the woman and eye raped by the men. Hopping out the truck, she stuffed the keys in her pocket and took out her apartment keys. Rae walked back to the pick-up and grabbed the majority of her bags, unable to take them all. Her friends had told her many horrible stories about the hood.

Not that none of them been, but word gets around and it ain't pretty. Praying that none of them took the rest of her things, she hastened her steps up the filthy pathway to the entrance. 

When she got to the door she said excuse me to pass by the men, but some weren't budging. One stood up from the ground and eyed her up and down. He licked his crusty lips and stepped closer to her.

"You in dis building ma?" He questioned her, pointed to the building. "Or did ya make a wrong turn in Bel-Air?"

His voice croaky and non-appealing. His clothes were clean, his pants baggy. He wore an over sized True Religion T-Shirt and a silver cross around his neck, dropping to the middle of his stomach. She stole a quick glimpse at his feet found a pair of Jordan's. She backed up a couple of steps but ran into what felt like a wall, but was a tall and hefty man. Rae jumped and peeked over her shoulders and shook her head.

"I'm visiting a friend," she lied, tremulous. 

He laugh lowly. "Dats funny ma," he declared. " 'Specially wit bags of brand new shit in it. Seems ta me like she moving in Jay. What ya think?"

The man behind her known as Jay, reached inside her bag and pulled out a toilet brush. "Yeah," he agreed. "Nothing but brand new shit in dis here bag."

"Don't be scared ma," he told her, his index finger slowly caressing her arm up and down. "What's your apartment number?"

Rae stood there like she forgot how to talk. She never in a million years thought she was going to die like this. A group of black me who where going to physically assault her until she passed out. Or worst! They would have her sell her body on the the street for Cocaine or even Heroin. She would be their sex slave until forever and would never see her family and friend again.

He pouted. "Da name is Easy Dee. And it aint cuz I fuck easy," he whispered, taking slow steps towards her.

"How many times do I have to tell you guys to stop gambling on my property," a thick voice boomed from behind Easy Dee. He stepped to the side, giving Rae a clear view of who the voice belonged to. 

"Aw come on Levi," Jay complained from behind her. "We already started the game!"

"I don't fucking care," Levi shouted. "You wanna gamble take that shit elsewhere and let her by."