Chapter 12: The Storm Shall Pass

"[...] just remember, the storm doesn't last forever. It can scare you; it can shake you to your core. But it never lasts. The rain subsides, the thunder dies, and the winds calm to a soft whisper. And that moment after the storm clouds pass, when all is silent and still, you find peace. Quiet, gentle peace."

~S.L. Jennings, Fear of Falling (Fearless, #1)

The man grabbed her by the forearm and forced her inside the apartment. When she tried to turn around, his rough hand grabbed the back of her neck to keep her facing forward. A clear sign that he didn't want her to see his face.

"Wouldn't do dat if I was you," he snarled.

His voice was laced with so much venom and hate as he continued to manhandle her. The sound of the door slamming caused her to jump in fright. This was the last thing she expected to happened to her.

"Please dont," Rae cried.

He backhanded her and she stumbled to the ground, tears forming in her eyes. Her knees hitting the floor hard, but the unbearable pain she felt in her knees and in her cheek had to be push aside to stick to the goal. To get away from her attacker. 

"You stupid bitch," he snarled. "I'll get what I want one way or another."

His voice strident, hurting her ears as she tired to crawl away. "But since I'm such a damn gentleman, I'll give you a choice."

She looked forward. Her white phone, sitting where she left it on the couch. Just a couple of feet away and she could call for help. "You can either give me what I want," he snapped. "Or I'll take what I want."

"P-please don't do this," Rae stammered with fear sketched on her face. "I'll give you money, whatever you want."

His guffaw echoed in the small room, making her wince. "Bitch you aint got no money," he mocked her. "Word on da street is you just as poor as the rest of us. The fact that you came 'round acting all sadity when you ain't even got a pot to piss in is funny."

Crawling to the couch, she snatched her phone off the couch and tried to get up, but that didn't stop him from yanking her ponytail and grabbing the phone. She heard a crash and knew that her phone was now somewhere in the room and broken into pieces. Her scalp was on fire as she tried to lessen the vice grip he hand on her. Rae couldn't stop the tears from flowing. So much pain.

He shrugged. "Ya made ya choice," he snarled.

He yanked her up and slammed her against the nearby wall. One hand around her neck, securing her from escaping, while his other had a mind and a goal of its own. When she saw his fsce she gasp in horror.

The front buckle to her jeans unfastened as she closed her eyes and continued to scream. The pressure around her neck increased as she begun to see stars. Using all her strength to fight back, she punched and kicked him. He begun to unbuckle his pants and Rae knew she couldn't stop him, but she couldn't stop fighting.

She clawed at him with her nails, trying to break skin on his hands. She wanted to cause pain so she could break free. To go across the hall to Carla or up the stairs to Levi.

Levi.

God, she had to see Levi. She had to get away to make things right with Levi. If it was her time to go, Rae felt that she needed to let Levi know that she appreciated everything that he has done for her. Being present in her life when no one else was except for Carla. Not only that, but to tell him that she really liked him more than a friend.

His hand struggled to push her jeans down. She began to lose consciousness and her eyes began to flutter shut, all hope was lost that she was ever going to see him again.