Chapter 11: On the Battlefield

"Pick your battles. You don't have to show up to every argument you're invited to."

~Mandy Hale

"I'm da Puerto Rican princess hunna and ya betta belie dat," the woman shouted. "Mah job is ta be a bad bitch."

Her broken English was giving Rae a headache. In all her years of living on this Earth, she had never seen people act so undignified and classless. Unfortunately, it reminded her of her actions a couple of days ago.

As she sat back on her small couch, Rae quickly changed the channel to witness another pointless fight between women.

Hypocrite.

"How did these women get a TV show?" Rae sat there, stunned. "My life is way more interesting then this bull."

Looking down at her brand new cellphone, she had no messages or missed calls. Her popularity status was nonexistent at the moment and she had to continue to tell herself that she had a different life now, with different people.

Still, she had yet to receive a call from her father, but she knew that her phone would be blowing up sooner or later. That reason being, had nothing to due with her father and everything to do with her choices.

She just wished that she had not gone to the Elite Party.

Just be calm.

So easy to say, but it was taking everything in Rae to just forget about the whole idea, jump back on plane and back to LA. What was she thinking to begin with?

Her nerves were at an all time high. As she paced back and forth in her suite while wearing nothing but a plush white rob, she couldn't stop her mind from wandering about the endless possibilites that could go wrong.

Rae was suppose to be dressed, her hair and makeup already complete. But when she tried to put on her all black ballroom gown, her mind froze. The muscles in her body seemed as if they were paralyzed as she glanced at herself in the mirror.

What was the purpose of this? Why was she here? Why did she let Levi talk her into this?

She couldn't... She wouldn't...

Before she could run back to the bedroom and search for her makeup bag to remove it from her face, there was a knock on her door.

She looked over her shoulder at the old, tan alarm clock, sitting on the nightstand beside the bed. He was going to be upset with her. Here, she wasn't dressed and was now backing out.

The knocking persisted as she nearly tripped over the cluttered mess on the dark brown carpet. Her clothes and shoes scattered everywhere. A mirrored image of her mind.

Once she got to the door, she placed her forehead gently on it. "Rae open up," Levi shouted.

She reached for the doorknob, not sure if she wanted to open it or not. "I know your in there so open up," he continued.

Against her better judgement, she opened the door and soon wish that she hadn't. To some, he might be an average looking guy, but to Rae, Levi was without a doubt handsome. Especially since he cleaned up nicely. His fitted jeans and Polo shirts were traded for a nice black suit, a crispy white shirt and and nice black tie.  Instead of a pair of Converse or Jordan's, he wore fancy dress shoes.

With a fresh haircut and a nice trim to his goatee, Levi walked through the door taking a good look at her.

"Whoa, why aren't you dressed yet?" Levi said. "The party starts in 30 minutes."