15 | Getting Hitched

So Good - Louisa Johnson

15 | Getting Hitched 

***

"Cali sucks without you honey, it totally sucks." My best friend comments. I'm currently lying on my comfy bed with my books surrounding me and my headphones in so that I can talk to Rosie, my very good friend who I 'abandoned'.

"Aww," I say, "I'm flattered. Honestly, it's so sweet to hear that. I guess you weren't exaggerating when you said you couldn't last a week without me."

I hear Rosie huff on the other side of the phone which makes me smirk. I just love to tease this girl.

"You know what? I'm retracting that. I'm unsaying it and pinning on the 'that never happened board'". Rosie replies in an overdramatic voice. I swear to god this girl is the queen of drama. She's so melodramatic, all of the freaking time.

And that's why she's my best friend.

"Anyways, how is LA? The place where you either get hitched or go into debt." Rosie asks me.

I roll my eyes at her statement. Does she really think I'm going to either get married or gamble away all of my parent's money? I mean, I might gamble away some money if it goes to a good cause—like my stomach—but otherwise, I won't.

"Right, firstly, I'm not old enough to get hitched. Secondly, I'm not even in the city! I'm practically in a small town on the outskirts of LA where nothing happens. Well, saying that— you know what? Nevermind." I ramble. My fingers are fiddling with my pen, a habit I do all of the time. My fingers just have to be doing something.

"I'm sorry, did you finish? I just got really tired there," Rosie then adds to her 'tiredness' by yawning, loudly.

"Hey!" I protest, "I was only telling you the truth."

"But the truth sounds so boring." Rosie whines in her four — year — old voice. "I prefer the image I have in my head. Right now I'm imagining you in a fancy house that has a view of the flashing lights and the drunk people."

Once again, I roll my eyes at Rosie's description. Of course, I had to be best friends with the most over imaginative person ever. I'm not complaining or anything but sometimes she really manages to blow me away with her weirdness. I love her to death, don't get me wrong but she seriously manages to astound me on numerous occasions.

I guess that's why Rosie is great in art and story writing. Our meeting was very coincidental. We are two completely different people, with different aspirations and hobbies.

We met before everything happened with Max. It was freshman year and Rosie had moved to our school. At the time, I had no knowledge about this at all. We accidentally bumped into each other in the lunch hall and spilled our trays on each other.

Back then, I was more reserved. I wasn't the outgoing Ava today, I was quiet. I guess you can thank Max for that.

Anyways, she yelled at me for being clumsy whilst I repeatedly apologized to her. After letting her frustrations out on me, we both cleaned the mess we made and went to the bathrooms. She introduced herself as did I and we just bonded from there. One could say we became friends because we were so different that we just bounced off of each other.

Rosie was more confident than me, she was flirty and a party animal. I was quiet and liked to blend in with the crowds.

And then Max happened. After I left the hotel and came home, Rosie was the first person I called. I told her everything, from the last night we spent together to the horrific morning. She came to my house thirty minutes later with three speeding tickets and a tub of my favorite ice cream—Ben and Jerry's.