13 | Ghosts Could Totally Exist

When Love Takes Over - David Guetta feat. Kelly Rowland

13 | Ghosts Could Totally Exist

***

"Hello! And welcome to Cal's Diner, what can I get you two?" An overly cheerful woman greets with a bright smile.

"Uh...can I have burger and fries with a strawberry milkshake please?" Max asks the woman, giving her a small smile.

She beams at him and writes down the order. She then lifts her head up and brushes a bit of her dark brown hair out of the way. "And what can I get you, honey?"

"I'll have the same please," I politely tell her and she nods, walking off to the kitchen.

As soon as she leaves, we are left in silence again. I don't think I can say its a painful and awkward silence because it's not. This type of silence is more comfortable.

Max's brown eyes gaze at me in adoration, once again. I noticed the whole car journey here, he would glance at me. I bet if he wasn't driving, he wouldn't have turned away from my face. I also noted how his hands would twitch on the steering wheel.

Two years ago, whenever we would get a lift from one of our parents or when we would get the bus, Max would be holding my hand. When I questioned him about it, he would claim it was because he feared he would lose me if I wasn't holding his hand. Of course, my heart would thump in my chest and I would blush.

Now, it still happens. A massive part of me feels angry at myself for letting me still feel so affected by him. I tried so hard to get over him yet I'm still feeling like a lovesick fool.

You're giving him a chance. I once again remind myself. Maybe one day, when I finally feel like Max's punishment is up, will I open my heart for him to see. I already have a feeling I'm doing that.

"So Ava, what made you move here? Is it because you missed me?" Max jokes, giving me his trademark smirk. I still can't phantom Bree's words on Max being all closed off after our break up. Max seems so carefree again, well around me at least. Earlier, he wasn't as much but that was because he was trying to 'win me back'.

I roll my eyes at Max, "no. We moved because my dad was offered a better—paid job. This is all a coincidence."

"Or fate." I hear Max mumble under his breath.

"You're still on about that? Feeling superstitious, are we? Tell me, Max, have you seen a ghost yet?" I ask Max whilst trying to refrain myself from smiling.

Max catches onto what I said and grins.

You see, not too long after we started dating, I invited Max round my apartment so that we could watch a movie. He obviously agreed. So there we were watching a film in the dark, with only the TV on. And then we hear a bang and Max ends jumping off of the couch and drops onto the floor. I frowned and asked him what was wrong to which he replied nothing shakily.