Of All the Things to Love

Leave Out All the Rest

Chapter 39: Of All the Things to Love

POV: Rose

The warm, summer breeze graced my skin, causing me to let out a content sigh as I adjusted a quilt Gran and I had knitted many years back over on the plush grass. I looked up at the willowy tree, smiling at the leaves that swayed, allowing shade and sun to rain down on us. It was the perfect spot overlooking the Black Lake, and I dubbed it so as I settled the picnic basket at the center.

"Well, come on," I said to the three girls lingering behind. I patted the quilt. "Sit."

Lily and Nia frowned at me, while Emily looked uneasy, tugging at the sleeve of her sweater. 

They were all here against their will, of course.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said with a laugh, hands on my hips like I'd seen Aunt Ginny do thousands of times before, "I wasn't aware I asked if you'd like to sit. I was under the impression I told you to sit, so sit!"

Emily (bless her, really) was the first to move as I repeated my command. She placed the bottles of pumpkin juice I asked her to get from the kitchens beside my picnic basket before settling. She crossed her legs over each other, placing her hands on her lap.

I smiled gratefully at her before turning back to the other two girls. With Emily no longer in between them, Lily and Nia put more distance between each other. I did not believe in any of that nonsense Trelawney spewed about auras and vibrations, but I swore I could see red sparking over their heads. The color of their shared resentment.  

I was going to have to play dirty, I see. 

I turned back to Emily, my smile growing sad. She blinked at me, realization slowly dawning in her green eyes. She sighed, nodding once.

"Lily, Nia," she murmured, "I'd really like if we could spend the day together. Without any fighting. Please...for me, could you two just join us for this picnic Rose kindly prepared for us?"

Instantly, Lily groaned. She stalked over to the quilt, plopping herself beside Emily. She crossed her arms over her chest, her cheeks almost matching the red of her curled hair. 

One down, I thought as I looked back at Nia. 

This is where it would get difficult, I knew. Lily was more susceptible to being guilt into something than Nia was. While she did love Emily with all of her heart, there was something Nia felt just as equally than that affection. And that was her ire against Lily. 

"Why are we doing this?" she demanded, her own hands on her hips. "And don't give me that stupid answer of oh, it's summer, and the last day of school. Sentimentality does not work on me, Weasley."

I rolled my eyes, opening the lid of the picnic basket. I reached in, pulling out sandwiches the house-elves were nice enough to prepare for me. I allowed her words to settle as I then took out sweets and crisps I'd purchased the last trip Scorpius and I took to Hogsmeade. 

When I thought I gave it enough time, I said, "Because we were almost torn apart." I looked up at her, no sentimentality in my tone or on my face, but rather the same serious expression I use when I present facts when tackling a debacle. "I don't just mean individually, but as a whole. And, lets face it, most of that was because of those of us here."

"Honestly," Nia huffed, pulling her long, blonde hair up into a messy bun at the top of her head. "I have far more important things to do than to sit here and share my feelings—"