Smooth Talker

Leave Out All the Rest

Chapter 36: Smooth Talker

POV: Dominique

Incomprehensible conversation filled the Great Hall as the incomparable Minerva McGonagall approached the famous golden podium. 

"We want answers!" shouted one Freddie Weasley when the Headmistress cleared her throat, the sound demanding attention. He did not heed the look of power in her eye; instead, he glared, the action creasing his bloodied forehead. "Why were we attacked at the platform? We're kids, for fuck sakes!"

There was a boom of agreement echoing around the Great Hall.

"That is enough, Mister Weasley," McGonagall's shrill voice was louder than all other noise. "You are still a student at Hogwarts and as such you are to do as I tell you, so sit down this instant."

At her demand, all eyes turned to us. Uncle George rolled his eyes at his son just as Aunt Angelina yanked him down by his wrist, both looking torn between embarrassed and angry. From my seat, I could tell Gran was embarrassed at the lack of manners one of her grandchildren displayed and his parents were definitely going to get a talking-to for his display. 

As silence now started to settle, the Headmistress turned to the Aurors lingering like shadows by the staff table. Uncle Harry came forth into the light, his expression as austere as I'd seen it since all of this madness had begun. Most people thought he was exactly that, with him having had lived through all he had. While, yes, he was that, he was also one of the funniest blokes I had encountered (never rivaling Uncle George, though), so seeing him as Head Auror Potter was like looking at someone else entirely. 

"Here, sweetheart, let me." I turned to my right to see Dad taking a cloth drenched in Murlap from Victoire's hands. He dabbed it gently at the side of her cheek, at the red slice tainting her perfect, pale skin. 

Teddy shifted in his seat, aiming me a quick glance before crossing his arms and focusing intently at the front.

"She's not going to fall to pieces, you know," I scoffed at Dad. "So she'll get a little scar. Maybe it'll give her a bit of character—Merlin knows she needs it."

"Dominique," Dad growled as Victoire gave me an outraged look. "That's enough. This is serious. Your sister could have gotten hurt."

"From what? Like Ted isn't all banged up from laying his life on the line for her?"

"I'm not helpless," Victoire input. "I fought just as bravely as everyone else—"

I rolled my eyes just as Head Auror Potter had been convinced to take over at the head of the Great Hall. He cleared his throat. And far more quickly than it had happened with Mcgonagall, the room fell silent for the Chosen One. 

"Today's actions are unforgivable," said he. "It is an act of terrorism to rage battle in civilian zones, especially when those zones are filled with children. The Ministry would like to assure you the culprits behind such cowardly attack will be punished to the full—"

"The Ministry has been lying to us!" shouted someone from the throng. "Who are these people? What are they looking for? Why haven't you warned us?"

Another explosion of agreement rung through the Great Hall.

Uncle Harry cast a look behind his shoulder. Uncle Ron stood there. The slightest of nods were exchanged between the two.

"The Auror Department is not at liberty to discuss private, Ministry matters with civilians, but given what happened at the platform today, we can only give you the truth. You have the right to know." He took a breath, looking down at the golden owl podium like he was searching for something. A flash of grief crossed his features before he said, "The group that attacked today were looking for ancient artifices passed down the Sacred Twenty-Eight. These are rumored to have belonged to Salazar Slytherin. Myth says they contain the darkest magic, but no Pureblood family can confirm this. Our guess is they attacked with intention to take hostages to gather more information."