Song as Old as Rhyme

Leave Out All the Rest

Chapter 33: Song as Old as Rhyme 

POV: Rose

It was comical to see the beautiful royal blue hue of the starry night outlined by dozens of protective charms. As Easter brunch progressed into an Easter dinner, relatives and family friends pointed out the stars, gazing at them like suspended fireflies caught in a painting with a growing moon taking up the center. They ignored the outline. 

"No one is ignoring it, Rose," Mum has said to me early on, right as the sun was setting red and purple across the darkening sky. Beside her, absentmindedly refilling his goblet with more than pumpkin juice, Mister Malfoy made an agreeing noise. "Most of us have grown up focusing on that outline because it was all we could see. It is because of our history, sweetheart, that we have also learnt to live in the moment. I know it seems ridiculous, but life is too short to be worrying about when things will end."

"Take it from someone who has been a prisoner multiple times in his life: there are worse ways to be locked up," Mister Malfoy had then said with a glare as Mum took his goblet from him, handing him a glass of water with a pointed look on her face. He took it without any comment. "Mad men and cold cells will never compare to a bubble of protective spells, your mother's constant nagging, and your grandmother's cooking."

Mum huffed impatiently at Mister Malfoy, but there was a look exchanged between the two that reminded of affection.  

I wandered off from them, leaving them to a conversation shared in whispers, and attempted to get through the festivities without a sour expression.

Alike many things in my life, I exceeded expectations. I sat beside Nia most of the time, both of us making small talk with anyone around us, never acknowledging the fact that we had to speak about several things on our minds. Some of those things pending from weeks back.  

"Lorcan and I are just friends," Nia muttered to me as we helped Gran clear up the tables, giving us something to do while the others argued over a miserable game of Quidditch where Louis caught the snitch (much to everyone's shock) and Freddie fell off his broom, breaking a wrist (and breaking a longstanding record of Louis' losses). 

"He fancies you," I murmured back. "Has been since First Year."

"A lot of blokes and girls have," Nia said with a shrug. "Remember that Slytherin boy who bought me flowers and chocolate every Hogsmeade trip until last year when his girlfriend found out? Hell, Dominique flirted with me for weeks after we snogged for that production of Pride and Prejudice." 

I made a pile of dirty plates fly in the direction of the Burrow, nearly smacking straight into Coral McLaggen rolling her eyes at Louis as he flaunted the snitch at the others. 

"This isn't like those times," I replied with a scolding tone. "Lorcan isn't like them. Lorcan isn't lusting after you because you're the prettiest girl he's ever seen. He likes you because you're the best person he's ever met."

Her blue eyes narrowed at me. "We both know I am not the best person anyone has ever met."

"You sell yourself short, Nia. All that beauty and brain is for nothing when you don't think you deserve anything good and worthwhile." I took a breath, setting down a clutch of forks and spoons. "Look, I love you and I love Al, but he has Evanna. You don't need to waste your time on someone who doesn't know—"

"Beauty and brains describes you, too, Rose," Nia cut me off before I could finally say what I have been wanting to say to her. "And it is also for nothing when you keep punishing yourself for a chain of events you did not set in motion. You are a good person—"