15

I never thought I would ever say this but: I hated being home. Texas was such a bore and so gloomy. Honestly, I'd rather be in Miami and do nothing but sit in that small studio for hours everyday. At least I was surrounded by my friends who would crack jokes every once and a while. Meanwhile while I was at home: Sam refused to even leave her room, and Zach stayed with her everyday. I understood, but Zach was doing the wrong thing by letting her sit around and wallow in sadness. It would just make her even more upset. And to my dismay, Victoria's family had decided to take this surprise 3 week long trip to their beach house on the Gulf of Mexico. And I was left to sit around and watch Netflix for hours at a time every single day. It was the loneliest and most depressing summer I had ever experienced.

And you may think that there might be a bright side to all of this, but it just gets worse. At the beginning of July, when I had just come back home, Austin and I texted each other every single day. We would catch up on each other no matter how hectic his schedule was. And sometimes we would call or oovoo and hearing his laughter would just fill my heart with so much joy. And now, it was the end of July, and Austin and I would go days without talking to one another. It didn't even feel like we were boyfriend and girlfriend anymore. I felt like some sort of acquaintance. I tried to convince myself that he was just busy, that he had so much to do that he barely had a second to spare, but I knew that wasn't the case. I knew that he was avoiding me, and I knew that I was probably just a burden to him. And every time I listened to his music, or any love song for that matter, I would cry my eyes out. I cried almost every day about him. Sometimes I would be talking to my mom or something, and something would suddenly remind me of him, and I would feel as if a huge weight was on my chest. I tried so damn hard to pull myself together and convince myself that everything was going to be ok, but I didn't believe myself for one second.

I decided to visit Sam one Sunday after noon, just to see if I could get through to her. It was awful because I came back to Texas to help her through all of this, and I had talked to her maybe twice.

Her mom let me up to her room, warning me that Sam wasn't in the best mood. Well, no shit.

I knocked softly on her door. "Sami, it's me." I called.

"Come in." I could hear her call back quietly. I opened the door timidly to find Sam sitting upright, looking at her laptop. She forced a small smile at me. "Hi." She said softly.

"Hey," I greeted. "What's goin on?" I asked.

"Nothing, as usual." She stated.

I shrugged. I sat down on her floor, as I did usually. Weird, I know, but I had sat on her floor to talk to her since 5th grade. "How's life?" She asked.

"Miserable." I stated truthfully. It was weird for us to be having a full blown conversation because usually she would sit in silence while I tried to talk to her. It was a miracle the two times before when I got her to talk to me. Now, I was so tired of everything that if she didn't talk to me, I would probably just leave. "Where's Zach?" I questioned curiously.

"He went out to play basketball with some friends, he should be back soon." She told me.

"It's really nice of him to stay here with you." I said.

"He's kinda gettin on my nerves." She said. She smiled at me and I smiled at her. And for the first time in forever, me and her burst out laughing. It was the first time both of us had laughed in weeks. I had forgot how good it felt to laugh up until then.

Once our laughter subsided, I sighed. "How's Austin?,I haven't talked to him in so long." She said, a little more upbeat. It was all down hill from there.

"Me neither." I blurted. I looked down at my hands and tried not to get emotional. There had been way too much sadness in this house and I didn't want to add on to it.