8. an unlikely pair - november 1998

About one and a half months later

Harry

Potions came along and for once, Harry wasn't dreading it completely. Sure, he still was terrible at it, but he knew he'd see Draco... and for some reason that was comforting instead of the past annoyance. To be honest, he's been avoiding Draco for these past few weeks. Maybe not avoiding... but definitely not looking for him. It was time for him to just face his fears, I mean that's what Gryffindors do, right?

Harry showed up promptly, sitting in his usual spot. Ron was close behind and sat next to him. He and Ron couldn't believe their eyes when Draco and Hermione walked in together, laughing and smiling.
Hermione said something and Draco looked unsure, but then followed Hermione to the table behind Ron and Harry.

"Am I off my rocker? Did my girlfriend just walk in with Draco Malfoy and sit with him? I imagined it, right?" Ron asked Harry.

"If you did, I imagined the same thing." Harry turned round in his seat to face Hermione and Draco.

"Hey, you two... what's up?" He asked sceptically.

"We were studying together this morning... actually, most mornings for the past few weeks, and I invited Draco to sit with us over here. That's fine with you guys, right?" Hermione said.

"Yes, of course... just an unlikely pair." Harry joked. "It's not a problem, right Ron?" Harry kneed him.

"Oh-yeah, no of course... not a problem..."

"Good, then." Hermione stated firmly. "Ron we're still going to Hogsmeade tonight, yes?"

"Yes, of course love." Ron turned back around as Slughorn came in the room and began class.

Harry couldn't stop thinking about Draco.

His eyes. His hair...

Merlin, his lips.

His lips were amazing. He had never been kissed like that. Ginny was a great kisser, but there was something about Draco's kiss that still had his lips tingling. He had kissed one other boy, Seamus. It was before him and Dean got together and Harry was confused and drunk and Seamus was confused and drunk and well... put two and two together. He just could not stop thinking about goddamn Draco Malfoy.

"Harry!" Hermione's voice broke him out of his thoughts.

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"Uh... class is over, mate." Ron told him.

"Bloody hell... sorry I'm just a bit... uh... distracted, I guess." Harry said, looking down. Draco was still there and he definitely couldn't talk about why he was distracted while the distractment was right there.

"What's going on, Harry? You've been distracted a lot lately." Hermione asked, concerned.

"I-I'm-I'm fine! I just don't feel too great. And, I have a headache... I'm gonna go to Pomfrey." It wasn't exactly a lie... he did have a headache... but it was manageable. Ron and Hermione gave each other a knowing look but didn't protest as Harry practically ran out of the room.

Draco

"What's wrong with him?" Draco asked as Ron, Hermione and himself watched Harry sprint out of the classroom.

"We're not sure. He's been off for a few weeks..." Hermione gave him a look that said I know exactly what's wrong but I think Ron's head would explode if he knew.

They started walking towards the Eighth Year common room.

"I don't know why he won't just tell me what's wrong. I have been begging him to for days but all I get is 'I'm fine, Ron'. He's clearly not fine."