The Vote

Why was it always her that had to come up with escape plans? She thought to herself. She scanned along the cells looking for the queen. Seeing her she stopped, a little stunned. The normally elegant queen was dirty and miserable, her face tear stained. Not that Melody could blame her for crying. She would be too.

She slided some food through the bars. She looked like she hadn't eaten since she'd been imprisoned. The queen either didn't notice her or didn't acknowledge her presence. Melody didn't mind. Searching for magical reinforcement Melody found only a few which she disabled. Next she took out two viles from her pocket. In one a thick, smoky grey liquid settled on the bottom in the other was a more explicit mix. A light blue with silver sparkles.

Melody informed the queen, "The grey one is explosive and not magical. Throw it and you''ll be out of here. The blue one is magical and more secretive." She placed them both in the cell. "However, don't escape until after the voting. Linda will pretented she saved you and I'll be even less likley to win."

With that Melody slipped in through a secret entrance to avoid the guards. The vote would take place in less than an hour. She had to prepare herself. She sneaked slyly past the guards standing in front of Linda's door, with some help from a invisibility spell. She waited until the guards wern't looking and carefully opened the door. The peered inside. Linda was in her dress letting her maids add finishing touches to her hair. Melody slipped into Linda's walk in wardrobe. Her eyes widened at the lavish gowns. She selected a beautiful, blue dress with shimmering detail that ranged from every shade from blue to purple. The detail snaked along the hem of her dress and curled upwards. Also she grabbed a purse. She cast invisibility over the dress and purse. Next Melody snuck it to a deserted room. She removed the invisibility and changed into the dress. She took a brush from the purse and gave her matted hair a brush.

Time for the vote. 

Melody walked to the grand hall. She received curious stares from those around her. She was unrecognisable to anyone as she was dressed up so elaborately.

Melody heard a small whimpering from a room nearby. She followed the sound and curiously pulled the door. It stayed shut. Melody saw the bolt then. She slid it back and open the door. There stood Flame. Flame took a small step back. He glanced up at her with a frightened look on his face. Melody realized what was wrong. He didn't know who she was. "Flame? It's me."

"Melody? Are you here to save me? They locked me in here and its fireproof! Its awful!" Melody ignored Flames incessent rammblings and hid him under the skirt of her dress. Luckily underneath she was wearing tights.

Then she reached the grand hall. Her hand hovered on the door handle. She was so nervous it was unreal. Everyone would turn to stare at her she knew. She didn't like dressing up. She preferred to blend in. Not that she'd really been blending in since she got here, but still.

Breathing deeply she turned the handle. The door was pushed slowly forwards. It creaked slightly and every head in the room turned her way. Smiling a little she walked across the raised platform and took her place next to Linda.

Linda had a huge, fake smile on her face. Her eyes flickered with recognition as she took in the dress. Melody tucked her hair behind her ear nervously. There was a man in a black suit standing slightly to the side who was talking nonsense that Melody payed no attention to, until he spoke the words, "Now each will make a speech to win your vote. Linda first."

Melodys heart skipped a beat. What speach? She hadn't prepared one and everyone expected her to make one after Linda had fished hers. Melody thought to herself, What did I ever do to deserve this?

"Melody?" The man asked.

She took a deep breath. Time to wing it. "A week ago I had no idea I was a princess." She thought back. Had it only been a week? Time flys... "Inbetween now and then I've..."  Been kidnapped multiple times, tthought of numerous escape routes, killed the king of hell, save her guardians life, lifted the agreement, met a dragon and a unicorn. Not bad for one week. Of course she didn't say this. Instead she continued, " Learned so much." The rest of Melody's speech was drowned out in cheers and unsurprisingly a few boo's. Melody sighed with relief it was finally over.

The vote paper started to pile up on the desk.