The Assassin

Melody watched unable to speak as he fired an arrow at the Queen. She gasped and unthinkingly jumped in front of the arrow. It hit her in the shoulder and she winced,  the arrow was headed for the queens heart. If she hadn't jumped in front of it, the arrow would have killed the queen.

The arrow was immediately pulled out of her shoulder and to the surprise of Melody the crowd started cheering 'Princess Linderina' over and over. Linda smiled a huge smug smile and Melody saw that she was holding the arrow in the air. It looked as though she had caught it moments before it had hit the Queen. Melody stared at her unable to elieve she would take the credit guilt free. Actually Melody was wondering why they were calling the princess Linderina. Her name was Linda! She was glad they wern't cheering her name, that would be embarrassing.

She winced again at the pain and everything went a bit blurry. She hit the floor moments later in a dead faint.

When Melody woke up she looked around her unsure where she was. Then everything came back to her. She touched her shoulder wound gently. It was bandaged tightly. She looked around the room but no one was there. Unsteadily she got out of the bed and walked to the door. She looked left and then right. It suddenly dawned on her the navigation spell had worn off. Thinking back she searched her mind for the spell, coming up blank she frowned. She always rememberd poems and rhymes easily. Realization appeared on her face, she must of hit her head pretty hard. Taking a guess she turned right. 

Melody was in search of a library but instead she found a beautiful garden. The sight was breathtaking. She admired the roses, lily's and blossom trees, sniffing at their beautiful sent. She listened to the contented chirp of birds. The fountain in the centre of the garden sounded like a waterfall and the birds tried to chirp louder than the sound of gushing water. In the distance the sound of galloping hooves came closer. Wait, hooves? Melody thought confused. In the distance a white horse came closer until it stopped in front of Melody. It was the ice horse who had saved her from the wolves. She hugged tightly to her mane.

 Melody mumbled into the ice horses fur, "You need a name." She stood deep in thought for a minute. "How about Star?" She suggested. The ice horse neighed in what Melody hoped was approval.

A little note fluttered to the ground. Melody bent down and scooped it up. She read it aloud before realising it was a spell. The spell tugged her towards a pair of glass doors that let away from the garden. As Melody was curious she decided to follow the spell. She gave Star a farewell stroke and left the gardens. She was taken down winding corridors until she was standing in the library she was originally looking for. The spell led her to a particular book. She took it off the shelf.

 The book was coverd in a layre of dust that Melody blew away. The book was an old, thick hardback with a dust cover on. The dust cover was probably a good idea thought Melody brushing off the last of the dust. She could feel the slight pull of a spell on the book and noticed the book cover protected it from more than just dust but also people. The cover had a beautiful picture of a forest on it. At the centre of the forest was a ice horse. The title was written in regal, loopy handwriting that read The Chosen.  

Melody tucked the book into her dress and wondered around the shelves untill she found a book on healing. She placed that one with the other and went in search of the queen. She passed a maid in the hall and asked her politely, "Where would I find the queen?"

The maid looked confused for a moment before repling, "Follow me." She walked haistily down the halls. The queen was in a small room with bodyguards surrounding the room. They let Melody pass but kept a close eye on her. The maid however was stopped. The queen sat straight in her chair and asked, "What is wrong?"

Melody answered, "I came to ask if you are okay and where I shall be staying."

Queen Celina replied, "I am fine. You will be staying upstairs in the guest room. Don't worry about finding your way around, a guard will be protecting you, he shall be able to guide you."

Melody was speachless. Why would she need a guard? Finding her voice Melody asked her question.

"I might be the only one the assassin is trying to kill" She had commented like it was nothing. Melody shuddered. Passing a door Melody heard whispered voices. One of them she could tell was Linda's. Melody stopped outside eavesdropping.  

Linda hissed, "My assasin failed..."