Chapter 11 - A great companion

(Last chapter)

SILENCE had entered the room after Mrs.Henrey had left it. It was only two minutes ago, though , it felt like much longer for both of them. There were times that it looked like they were about to say something but they'd quickly change their mind. And of course they had done their best to not meet their eyes.
Neither of them had sat down , though it was up to Gilbert to fetch her a chair. But it was clear his mind was not in the right place that day. It didn't come as a surprise to him anymore since he had already miserably failed his chivalrous manners twi— three times... in less than an hour! He had always been careful to never miss opening a door for a lady before, he even had come down from working on the rooftop to help Ruby get up that one time she fell and carefully cleaned her hat from the dust before he'd given it to her. Yet somehow he kept humiliating himself in front of Anne, the one person who he had always wanted to impress. (And even though his tricks might have worked with every other girl in Avonlea , they'd always been unsuccessful with Anne. But that only made her so much more intriguing to him.)
There was no saving for him that day.

While Gilbert was worrying that he was not making a good impression , Anne had other thoughts in mind. Something between the lines of Marilla would ground her for life (well deserved...as long as she doesn't stop her from hanging with Diana) , her disappearance would do no good to Matthew's heart and
a very annoying thought that Anne was trying her hardest to dismiss- Had Gilbert always been this charming? 

But NO!

She'd never admit that , it wasn't true.
It had been a long stressful day to say the least , her brain was clearly messing with her (never listens to her when it comes to Gilbert anyway)
I mean ... he kind of was her hero today, maybe she should give her brain a pass this time...

But still NO!!

"Please , have a seat," Gilbert spoke softly while pulling the chair for her to sit.
As her knees bended to sit, he gently pushed the chair in with both hands on the backrest and then walked back and pulled a chair for himself.

"So.."  the boy who was sitting directly in front of her , said softly.

"So.."  

They glared at each other in silence for a long moment.

"Mrs Henley is awfully kind. I really like her," Anne said breaking the look between them.

"She certainly is —  And Sebastian too. I am eternally grateful to him for taking me under his wing this past year. It has been really..." he felt his voice getting shakier so he took a long breath before continuing "...difficult."
His smile had faded and replaced with a sorrowful look and a brittle voice.
He took a moment to gather some strength before continuing but it was a failed attempt as he felt his eyes getting glossier.

"... It was hard leaving Avonlea and everything , everyone , here. I — I liked seeing the world.. but it was not the same as when I got to do it with my father... There were times when I felt really alone , like there was no one to look after me anymore or care for me.. And I just —"

At this point his speech had failed him and his eyes were shining with tears.

"Gilbert..." Anne whispered softly while reaching out for his hand. 

She felt her heart break a little, looking at Gilbert's sorrowful face. She knew how feeling alone in the world felt like. She felt that everyday before she came to Green Gables.