Chapter 23 - I Would Jump Too

You know that I would jump too, into the blue...

I smiled happily as the sun beat down on my skin, warming me up completely, ice cream cone in hand. What also warmed was, of course, Zane's hand holding onto mine, his fingers brushing across the back of my hand every so often. Today was perfect.

All of a sudden, Zane spun me into him and my ice cream cone subsequently collided with his black t-shirt. I gaped at the large white splotch on the material as I removed the cone. Zane was quiet as he stared down at it before glancing back up to meet my eyes.

"I'm getting flashbacks," he deadpanned.

A giggle burst free from my lips and I grinned, "You should, um, really watch where you're going,"

A smirk split his face, making him that much more attractive.

"Oh, you wanna take me on?" he challenged playfully.

I hummed in response just before he wiped a dot of vanilla ice cream on my nose with his index finger. I gaped at him in mock surprise before taking off running through the mall, evading people as I went. Zane's shoes squeaked on the tile as she raced after m. I squealed with laughter as I heard him starting to gain on me. Suddenly, he came 'round the corner and grabbed me by the waist, pulling me flush against him.

"Say you're sorry," he demanded playfully.

I shook my head indignantly, a grin plastered to my face, "No,"

"Then accept the penalty," he grinned, bringing his own ice cream cone closer and closer to my face.

I shrieked, shaking my head as he held me tight. But just before the cone reached me and I was about to protest, Zane's soft lips captured mine. I melted into it instantly, smiling into the kiss as did he before we parted. A laugh escaped my mouth and he just grinned down at me as we kept on walking. We looked around at more shops before I ended up finding one with a locket...exactly like Cleo's. I wanted it - badly.

But, of course, it was too expensive and I had nothing to buy it with. Unfortunately, Zane's ex, Miriam did. So she bought it just to get at me. Zane was livid when he found out. He'd planned to buy it for me but she got to it first. Also part of her plan, I'm sure. 

I went to the JuiceNet Cafe actually when I overheard her and Zane arguing over the necklace...and me.

"Miriam, that was pathetic!" Zane snapped at her as he exited the juice bar.

"Oh, come on, Zane! You're not seriously interested in her? I mean, she's not your type," Miriam shot back, blonde hair flipping over her shoulder as she spoke.

"And you are?"

"Well, of course I am. I mean, you and me, we're good together. We always were,"

"Miriam, get this into your head: you were never my girlfriend. Not now, not ever... The locket," he told her, holindg out his hand then.

Miriam clenched her jaw and I coudl tell this wouldn't end well as I walked up behind them, standing a bit away. But before anyone had time to react, she heaved it into the harbor nearby.

"I didn't say I'd give it to you - I only said I'd part with it. Now no one can have it. See ya." she smiled maliciously before prancing off to who knows where.

I was about to walk off too, even after Zane noticed my presence.

"Wait! I'll get it for you," he told me, starting to take off his shoes.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. He strode over to the dock then and I quickly followed after. Was he crazy or something?!

"Zane! What are you doing?" I asked, watching my boyfriend as if he had just grown an extra head.

"You want it, don't you?" he answered my question with a question.

I hated it when he did that.

"Well, yeah, I want it-" I started to say.

He grinned, shaking his head, "That's all I need to know."

And with that, he dove into the water head-first, catching me off-guard. That's when I heard Cleo and Rikki walk up behind me.

"Are you crazy? Emma's down there!" Rikki said to me.

But as bad as it sounds, I could barely focus on the safety of my friend right now. Zane dove into that water...just to get the necklace for me. He did it just for me. I couldn't help but smile as a warm feeling spread throughout my body. He was down there a few minutes before he popped back up, locket in hand. My eyes widened a fraction. He really found it!

"I got it," he said once he'd climbed back onto the dock, him and the locket both soaking wet, "I'm really sorry about all that other stuff. Here, take it. I got it for you,"

He stretched out a hand, dangling the locket in front of me. Smiling, I lifted my hand up, cupping it to catch the necklace. Cleo watched with wide eyes, looking at me intently.

"Leona, it's wet!" she warned me.

I seemed to ignore her. But just as he dropped it, I moved my hand to the side, letting it fall to the ground.

"Here, I'll get it for you," Rikki offered, squatting down to retrieve it for me.

Subtly, I noticed she used her powers to dry it before handing it over to me. Smiling in thanks, I turned back to my boyfriend just as Emma walked up.

"What's going on? You're all acting weird," Zane commented.

I shook my head, still smiling, "Nothing. Nothing at all. Thanks a lot for this. It means a lot... So I'll catch you later?"

He shook his head, eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he walked off, still dripping wet. All three girls crowded around me once he was gone as I admired the necklace in my palm.

"You didn't honestly think I was gonna give up our secret to Zane?" I asked incredulously.

Cleo and Emma both shrugged while Rikki just nodded 'yes' to my question.

"You did? Aw, come on, is there no trust?" I grinned, making the girls smile as well as we headed over to give Miss Chatham the good news.