Chapter 13 - Late Night Conversations

It was clear no one believed him. Truthfully, the video of him getting chased by a blown-up version of a goldfish wasn't helping the situation. I'd have to slap Lewis for that one later. I felt for Zane, though. Despite his cruel, vindictive nature - in this moment, I truly felt for him. He didn't deserve that kind of bullying, the mocking glances his peers were sending him. It was no surprise then - to anyone - when he walked out of there after receiving his award. I guess what surprised everyone the most - my friends included - was the way I walked out after him.

It wasn't hard to guess where he was going as I silently followed until I'd reached the boat dock. He stood, looking down at the award in his hands dejectedly. Slowly, I made my way over to him.

"You did good, you know," I told him, gaining his attention.

He frowned in confusion, "Acting, you mean?"

I shook my head, pushing strands of my hair behind my ear as I looked out onto the deep blue water.

"No. All of it. Surfing around Mako, going to a place no one else dared to - it took guts," I said slowly, meaning every word.

I expected him to have a snarky comeback or just blow me off completely. But as I turned back to face him, he surprised me. Slowly, a smile lit up his features, his warm chocolate brown eyes gazing over at me. My stomach flipped despite myself. But almost as soon as it had happened, it was gone, replaced by a melancholy frown.

"You're the only one who thinks so," he admitted, eyes still locked on mine.

We stayed like that a moment before I finally spoke up again.

"Isn't one enough?" I asked him softly in the stillness of the night.

The smile returned then and this time, I felt my cheeks burn pink as I turned and walked away from him, back along the pier. And with every step I took, I could feel his brown eyes watching me, making me feel warm all over.