Prologue

I almost drowned that night.

One twist of my foot and I slipped off the rocks only to fall down, down into a pool of water below.

The breath had been knocked out of my lungs completely from the fall that by the time I hit the water, I was minutes - no, seconds - from drowning. The clear liquid filled up my mouth and nose rapidly as I tried to call out for help. But it was pointless. No one could hear me all the way down here. My friends were still trekking along the rocks somewhere above me. It was my own stupid idea to go exploring.

And now I would be dead because of it.

I whipped my head around frantically, flailing my arms up and down in the water to try and gain momentum to get to the top. Suddenly, something shifted in the open hole I dropped down from and I gazed up into the starlit night sky overhead. The moon slid into view, full and glowing. It was beautiful. It lit up the cave and the water, too. Bubbles appeared all around me and soon, I felt myself being propelled upwards. My head broke water seconds later and I gulped in air, eyes wide with shock at my near-death experience.

I waited in the cave after that and soon, my friends came to find me. We went home and I believed my life would go back to normal. Everything would be alright.

But it wasn't until a few days later would I know the full extent of what the moon did to me that night...