Age is But a Number: Ending

Beth’s POV

“Wow Beth. This place is so, fancy,” Laura spoke with uncertainty. I could tell that she was excited, but also extremely nervous. It was 5 minutes until midnight and for the last hour I was just focused on making sure that Laura wasn’t too uncomfortable with how extravagant and proper Club Frost was before midnight. I watched as she finished chewing her last piece of steak and sipped the last bit of wine that the waiter had unknowingly agreed to give her. I glanced at my phone and there was only one minute before midnight.

“Attention guests. We will need you all to make your way to the main lobby immediately,” One of the waiters ordered. It was easy to point out whose dates had never been to Club Frost before. They were either very confused, or irritated.

“What’s going on?” Laura asked with slight panic in her voice as I took her by the hand and led her into the lobby with the rest of the guests.

“Just standard procedure sweetheart,” I assured her then felt my phone vibrate in my white pants suit. I had made about 50 calls to make this night happen and at this point it could have been anyone telling me that they would have to cancel or that I would have to make different arrangements.

“I have to take this baby,” I excused myself and went to the corner of the lobby to answer my phone,”

“Yes?” I answered the phone with slight agitation. After you’ve been on the phone all day with so many people you don’t feel like the usual polite greetings.

“Well well, aren’t we a bit demanding this evening? Anyway, this is Jessie. I just wanted to tell you that I went behind a few of your plans and changed a few things. Think of it as a game! Everything that you set up I twisted a bit! Oh it’s just splendid dear I promise. So don’t expect anything to go in the order you had planned tonight. Oh and Tee and I will be house sitting while you and Laura play. Don’t worry, no red wine has stained your furniture yet and if it does I’ll be sure to replace it. Hope you have a lovely night evening darling. Just go with the flow and please don’t call me a million times because I’m turning my phone off,” Before I could ask any questions the line went dead. I could have bursted into flames out of fury that very second, but I had to remain calm. I had no idea what the hell was in store for either of us tonight. I walked back over to Laura and tried to form an honest smile.

“Everything okay baby?” Laura asked me sweetly then kissed my cheek.

“Yes dear, everything is. Peachy,” I bit my lip. She knew I was lying now. I never said peachy.

“You may now return to the dining hall guests,” Another announcement was made and everyone returned to the room. When we entered it hardly looked like the room that we had been dining in all night. The tables had been formed into a long stage, the lights had dimmed and spotlights moved through the room aimlessly as music blasted and exotic dancers twirled upon individuals tables and the DJ worked magic on the main stage. The bar had stopped serving expensive wines and was replaced with top shelf hardcore liquors. The best part was the fake snow that swirled around the room and decorated everyone. I was so taken aback by the transformation that I didn’t notice the joy and surprise that had taken over Laura’s face. As a single artificial snowflake fell onto my nose I smiled to myself and accepted the uncertainty of the night ahead.

Tina’s POV

Insomnia was my reality when I was a teen. I remember tossing and turning in the middle of the night and sweating puddles of sweat. It was as if every time I closed my eyes I thought of the most frightening things and then I was up for another 3 hours. Before I met Pookie the only way that I was able to get any sleep was to listen to a hypnosis tape that I had bought at a music store that was down the street from me. A lot of people will call hypnosis a bunch of bullshit, but hypnosis is all about believing. As you can imagine, I would be the ideal candidate for hypnosis. I played the cassette every night until I could put myself into the same state of mind that the tape put me in.  First my legs would feel as though they weighed a thousand pounds and then that feeling would work it’s way all the way up to my head.