Chapter 6: Hummerhorns

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: 

I am back! :D I hope you all are doing well!
Here is a quick summary of the last few chapters since it has been a while since I've last updated- [Aerlinniel, Elarinya, Faelwen, and Mallory are all looking for Legolas. They had just reached Gundabad to check the place out. Legolas is trapped in the dungeons in a place that is run by Orcs and evil men. He has no idea what is about to happen, just that it is not good. He met a mysterious Elleth that we now know is named Lin. We know that from the letter that she wrote to Legolas after using the yarrow plant to heal his wound.] I hoped that helped some of you. If you want me to make it more descriptive, just leave a comment, letting me know! Now, I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

Aerlinniel POV

Gundabad was abandoned. There was no one there. If there was, they did a good job of keeping hidden. I was really hoping to find Legolas here. But, at the same time, I am glad he was not there. It seems like a horrible place.

Next we are checking Amun Sûl. Also know as Weathertop. It is near the Shire. If we were not in a hurry to find Legolas, I would consider stopping to say hello to the Hobbits.

I sure hope they are doing well. I know it must be hard for them to adjust after all they have been through. They deserve to have some peace.

"What are you thinking about, Aerlinniel?" Elarinya questions. I must of looked confused because she added, "You were smiling. I have not seen you smile in a while."

I reply, "Oh, I was thinking about the Hobbits. If it was not so vital for us to find Legolas right away, I would have stopped to say hello to them."

"I can tell you care about them a lot. Sorry that we do not have the time to stop and talk with them. I am sure you will see them again soon." Elarinya assures me.

Not wanting to say anything more, I just give her a smile. But it quickly fades when my thoughts wander back to Legolas. I take a deep breath and try to wish the negative thoughts away, but it does not work. 

Elarinya POV

My sister smiles at me, but then I watch as it slowly fades. I feel absolutely awful. After all she has been through, now this happens. For both her and Legolas' sake, I hope we find him soon. But, I have a feeling it is not going to be that easy to find him.

I do not know why they both seem so oblivious to each others feelings. Because, to me, it is so obvious that they love each other deeply. And, like I told Aerlinniel, I know that they deserve to be together. I have never seen two people so in love since when my parents were still alive. 

If they do not confess for feelings for each other when we find Legolas, I swear to the Valar I will put those two in a room together and not let them out until they do. I love my sister, and after everything she deserves to be happy. It hurts me greatly to her in so much pain.

Also, I know she misses those Hobbits. Especially Bilbo.  He and her were so close, I bet it is hard for her to not be able to see him that much anymore. Maybe it will cheer her up to talk about him. I hate that it is always so silent while we are traveling.

I look over to her and call her name, "Aerlinniel?" 

"Yes?" She replies, tilting her head.

"If you do not mind, could you tell me some of your favorite memories about Bilbo? I know that there are some stories you must have that you have not told us."

I see her give a slight smile out of the corner of my eye. Good, that is what I was hoping for. I hope to make her smile any chance I get. Because, I have a feeling this is going to be a long and hard journey.

"Sure! Would you rather hear stories from our first adventure together? Or one of our other ones?" She questions.

I answer, "I would love to hear some from your other adventures together!" 

"Alright, let me think." She pauses for a moment before continuing. "I do not think I ever told you about the time Bilbo and I got chased by hummerhorns."

I give a small laugh, how did that happen? I then question, "Hummerhorns?" [A/N: For those of you who don't know what a Hummerhorn is, it is something that Tolkien came up with and it is like a large wasp or hornet.]

"Yes! Bilbo said that he saw something flying around some flowers. He said that he had no idea what they were and that he had never seen anything like them before. I went with Bilbo to get closer to them because he wanted to observe them. We were with Caunedhiel and Eruedraith at the time and they continued on ahead. I told them Bilbo and I would catch up to them in a little bit. I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts, that it startled me when Bilbo screamed, 'Run!'. We started running towards Caunedhiel and Eruedraith, me having no idea why we were running until I head many flapping wings coming from behind us."

"Then what happened?" Mallory asks.

"Caunedhiel and Eruedraith saw us running towards them. Eruedraith started to ask us what was going on when Bilbo yelled at them to run. We eventually lost them and when I asked Bilbo what happened. He told me that apparently, they did not like Bilbo getting so close to them and one of them stung him and more started coming after him. He still was not sure what they were, he just knew that they were not bees. That is when Caunedhiel said that they must of been Hummerhorns."

By the end of her story, we were all laughing.

"I cannot believe that happened!" I exlaimed.

"Me either!" Faelwen agrees then adds, "Did anyone else get stung? Or only Bilbo?"

"Just Bilbo. Thankfully, he was fine. Caunedhiel treated his sting and we all just sat there laughing about it. That is definitely one of my favorite memories from our adventures." Aerlinniel replies, and even gives a laugh herself.

"Have any other stories?" Mallory asks.

"Of course I do! Next, I will tell you about the time we thought we lost Bilbo."

~~~~~~

Yay! Finally a chapter up! It is almost Summer so I will now have a lot more time to write! :D Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I've missed you all!

Love you my elves from the realm of llamas,

~Ellethwen <3