Bring Me Light - Chp 4

"You look tired." Ben noted sliding in beside me the next morning at the cafeteria table.

I moaned as my head fell into my hands "I couldn't sleep." I mumbled into my hands, the front of my head pounding through the taut tension.

Which was true, after I crawled back to bed I couldn't sleep. Sure I was tired but I had this Alice Manyon girl on my mind. I was certain I'd read that name before or heard it. I spent all last night scanning my brain for when and where. And when I finally dozed off my dreams were full of blurred images leaving me even more drained and tormented. Just the thought of it made my head throb.

I moaned again.

"Are you 'kay? Are you sick?" Soph asked her voice rushed with concern.

"Yeah," I muttered as my head continued to throb standing up with the intention to find some drugs to kill this migraine before it destroyed me "I'm just gonna go see..." I said trailing off as I caught his eye "James?" I whispered stunned, squinting unsure if I was actually losing it.

"James? Who's James?" Ben asked, frowning quickly looking around.

I looked down still stunned and mentally kicking myself, a fiery nervous blush rushing to my cheeks  "Uh, James." I pointed amely to a lanky kid just leaving the cafeteria "I went to school with him at my old school. And apparently here now too." I lied and without a pause I walked towards the door, close to a jog wanting to escape.

Walking towards James I caught his gaze again "My room. Now." I hissed the agenda suddenly changing.

"Yeah?" he asked once I made it to my room, he was already there over in the corner slightly wary but curious, possibly hopeful. What, did he think I'd got on to Alice already? God I'm not that good nor dedicated.

"One rule," I said striding over to my bed side table and chucking back a few aspirins "you gotta make sure you don't just appear around suddenly. I'll blow my cover. Plus it scares the crap out of me." I laughed weakly clutching my chest as he offered me a faint apologetic grin "And how did you know I could see, well you guy anyway?" I asked, always curious.

He shrugged "It doesn't matter and beside it's too long." I was about to protest when he added "And besides, you're going to be late to class."

I cursed. He was right. Nearly.

***

I collapsed on the ground at lunch utterly drained and in need of just soothing silence and an escape of equations and dates. Leaning against the tree I closed my eyes. Classes seemed to go slower, yet some I had the chance to let my eyes close and catch some needed sleep. I guess that was the torture of life, the quicker you wanted time to pass the slower it got. I was past tired now I was just drained. Nothing a bit of sugar couldn't fix though, hence why ten minutes earlier I had already rewarded myself with some well deserved chocolate.

Comfortable at last I drifted in and out as Rach and Louise gossiped in a soft and low murmur a couple or more metres away. I had no idea where Soph was and I didn't really worry nor care., if she was around I'd feel rude for dozing off. I probably didn't want or need to know if she was off with Matt as I suspected, and besides I was going to see her last period and I needed a bit of peace and rest.

"Tay?" he called out making my heart flutter countless moments later, a voice that seemed easily recognisable because by day one at a new school it was already ingrained into me.

"Shhh. You'll wake her." Rachel hissed to my aggravation, the 'shhh' dragging me through the dirt.

"It's 'kay." I said softly yawning slightly rolling my head to the side to see Ben walking towards me. I sat up more and took the opportunity to have a sip of water from my drink bottle.

Ben slid down the tree beside me. "Are you kay?" he asked me sincerely worried, I looked up at him my voice and breath getting caught off guard. God, those eyes. "Tay?" he asked again more anxious.

I shook my head slowly waking myself up a bit. "Yeah, I'm alright." I whispered. I couldn't help it, my gaze fell and landed on his lips. I wondered what those lips were feel like let alone taste like. Slowly his lips curled faintly up to hold a hint of amusement. Quickly I pulled my eyes back up to his, blushing guiltily "J-just a headache is all." I stumbled nervously avoiding his gaze.

"So you still cool with 'tis arvo?" he asked softly, I wondered if it was so Rachel and Louise couldn't hear or eavesdrop as it appeared they were trying to or him not wanting to have to invite the two over out of courtesy.

A smile instantly spread across my face, I had forgotten about this afternoons plans "Sure. What are we doing?" I asked excited now and curious, even this killer headache couldn't bring me down now.

Seeming to indulge in my response he answered with a grin "We are going down the street at first than back to mine after class."

I nodded taking a sip "Cool." I said letting my head fall back against the tree.

"Why couldn't you sleep?" he murmured beside me even lower than before.

"New school, new people, new thoughts." I somewhat admitted though hating the way it sounded, I crossed my legs at the knees nervously.

"Did you end up catching onto James?" he asked.

There was a pause of silence as I licked my dry lips and resisted the urge to shuffle nervously giving me away. I used to be so good at this until Ben came along, stupid  males sexy as sin weakness. "James? Yea-" but before I could finish the bell rang. Too quickly I jumped up "Someone loves biology." he teased almost knowing I desired to avoid the current conversation with all my being.

He caught me off guard, I blinked, not only did he remember what class I had next but it was beginning to become unnerving just how easy it seemed for Ben to read me. I hesitated for a bit then I shrugged "Yeah, to be honest I think it's interesting. It's a class where I become easily curious." I admitted smiling proudly, it wasn't even a lie.

He smiled giving me a jab standing up "Well nerd, you may have to tutor me than."

I laughed "What do you have?" I asked taking a side glance as we started heading off for class.

"I have maths." He said, I couldn't hold back a giggle. "What?" he asked softly, giving me his full attention with curiosity and an amused smile. I felt giddy.

"Mrs Gregory." I said happily "She's a funny one." Was all I said causing him to raise an eyebrow as we paused outside my classroom. I notice the curious gazes watching us "Bye Ben." I said smiling knowing the smile was a bit flirtatious.

I smiled a little smugly to myself as I walked inside biology.

"Can you believe that?" Soph spluttered in laughter later after biology, the two of us walked down the front stairs. I laughed our faces red and hot from laughing so heavily, as we laughed at Brianna's stupid comment in biology. "She actually thought Drop Bears were real." She gasped out through tears of laughter, I laughed in union with a loss of breath.

"So stupid." I gasped.

We reached the waiting boys still laughing as we clutched our aching sides.

Matt held out his hand and Soph instinctively took it, still laughing and wiping at the tears in her eyes. Matt looked at Ben slightly anxious and confused. "What'd we miss?"

We laughed even harder at his question as the memory played before our eyes.

Ben laughed shortly with amusement "Must be a girl thing."

________________________

Click the external link for my Facebook page

So you guys know my drill; vote, comment and maybe give me a fan, yeah? Do it, I dare you ;) Xx

-------------------------------------

All Rights Reserved

Copyrighted Material ©

-------------------------------------