Bring Me Light - Chp 40

Walking down the aisle I beamed as I looked forward, everyone standing the music rising; it was all too beautiful.

That’s when I saw it, in amongst the people’s faces. Mum’s. I blinked my steps slowing. Taking a deep breath I pushed myself forward. Relief flooded me; again I thought they’d left without a goodbye.

I hadn’t seen my mother since the day she dropped me off at my new school. My father since he ruffled my hair and told me to cheer up. If only he knew.

I couldn’t see dad but I knew he was beside Bec; walking her down the aisle as she wished. My eyes stung. I met mum’s gaze, her eyes running. I smiled warmth spilling into me.

Reaching the end of the aisle I took my place on the rise. I saw him; dad. His joy and pride clear. It was his girl. He met my gaze and winked, I smiled feeling so pure.

Bec took her place. “Since when did I give permission?” dad joked, his voice pure beauty. The crowed sat oblivious to his joke and him standing right up front by mum. My lips twitched and I tried to repress a giggle. Mum shot me a stern look. It kept me silent. I looked down my lips twitching.

Glancing up mum was there in front of me, her beauty obvious even as a presence, she was beautiful in her strong motherly way. I took a step back instinctively “Taylor stop drawing attention to yourself, it’s Bec’s day.” I nodded slightly, too happy to even care about her bossing me about already. “I want you to stop it briefly when it’s get to the signing.” I frowned. When? “I'll tell you when.” She said gently.

I kept my gaze ahead on Bec and Seth, as the priest talked. I allowed mum and dad to watch their daughter grow. I could feel their pride shine off them.

Ben was here, I hadn’t seen him since the morning after the hens night. I could feel gazes though all eyes fell onto me analysing my dress and image. The ceremony ran by nicely until the signing came in.

“Tay.” Mum signalled.

I coughed weakly, “Bec?” I whispered.

She frowned thinking it was pitiful she ignored me.

I pursed my lips hating all eyes on me as I stepped up and whispered in Bec’s ear I told her; “Mum. Dad.”

She scanned the room missing them “Here?” she whispered back.

I nodded stiffly “Chit-chat, back room.”

Bec sighed. I knew this destroyed her beautiful order though it was talking to our parents, what could be better? Bec leant over and whispered something in the priest’s ear. He looked stunned and also confused. Bec grabbed Seth’s hand, grabbing Bec’s other hand we turned right, and along the way I grabbed Ben’s hand. All stunned eyes followed us as we exited gracefully out the side. The priest spoke behind us to the audience. Bec led us to a room, our heels echoing the boys too stunned and confused to speak.

Closing the door behind us Bec turned her smile wide “How do they look?” she asked.

My lips twitched “Just awful Bec, their clothes are torn, their bodies bruised and bloody, it’s awful.” I said solemnly.

Bec froze fully saddened.

“Taylor stop patronising your sister.” Mum chimed. I chuckled and sent Bec a smiling glance slightly of guilt.

Though her gaze was on mum and dad who stood in the middle of the room. All of us surrounded them. The boys stared, jaws dropped. They could see them too.

Bec folded her arms “Taylor.” She huffed.

I laughed again.

“Acting like six year olds.” Mum muttered.