Chapter 17: Grim

“So tell me again… you mean to tell me we’re going to go see the angel of death?” Crowe asked as they rode the bus into the city.

        “More or less… He’s a guardian of sorts. He doesn’t keep the peace like we do; he tends to protect the natural order. He’s a neutral party, not good, not evil, just does his job. Don’t piss him off by trying to disturb the flow of death though mate… Make no mistake… He is death after all, if there’s anyone that could easily take out any summon, even our dragons, it’s the Angel of Death. In all honesty though, he’s a very kind hearted soul, albeit kind of bland.”

        “How many guardian summoners are there?”

        “Hell… I dunno, several?”

        “You’re one of the first summoners and you don’t know how many guardians there are?”

        “As long as they do their job mate I don’t particularly worry about it. I just enjoy my time on this earth the best I can. When you get my age, you tend not to sweat the little things mate.”
“I’m guessing that all of us watch over certain aspects of the world right? From what I understand, as the dragon summoners we are in charge of keeping peace and being a role model for other summoners right?”

        “More or less. Just don’t do anything really bad and we’re fine. Listen to the council every once in a while. Do as they say, yada yada yada.”

        “If you’re one of the first summoners, why and how can they tell you what to do? Shouldn’t you be more in charge?”

        “The council was created by the more average summoners. They were worried that, being as powerful as we are, we would control them much like a dictatorship. Of course none of us have that intention; we don’t care for power or control. Well, the remainder of us that is. All we want to do is maintain balance, keep the peace, make sure that nobody gets hurt, all that kind of stuff. In short… the council was created so that people would FEEL safe.”

        “You say that as if you don’t believe it works.”

        “I don’t mate. I don’t like the council period. By creating the council they did the exact thing they were trying to avoid. They think that they have a voice in the governing of the summoning world because that’s what the council is supposed to be. People lie mate. Plain and simple, and that chancellor is as crooked as they come in my opinion. I believe you’re right, I believe he uses his position as a right to bully others, to get what HE wants. That’s one reason I like you so much already. You stood up to him fearlessly despite the threats he made.”

        “I wouldn’t say that…” Crowe interrupted. “I WAS terrified… I was incredibly nervous.”

        “Ah… but, you didn’t show it, you didn’t flinch, you didn’t back down; even though you were terrified on the inside. And that, mate, shows courage, even if just a little.”

        Crowe thought on those words and he felt more confident. Xander was right.

        “Anyway, what I was saying about the council. By creating a form of government that they supposedly run, and attempting to keep all power from remaining within the Dragoons, they put others into power. However, they’re not honest like we are, they say what people wanna hear, tell them exactly what’ll take to get followers. You know what I mean? It’s corrupt and maybe with you here now… maybe we can expose it for the sham it is.”

        “How can I help? What could I possibly do that would make a difference?”

        “Because you’re a wildcard mate. The council believes you’ll do what they want just because. I know you’ll do what’s right. Sorzoran knows you’ll do what’s right, that’s why he chose you. If there’s anyone that will be able to expose corruption it’ll be you. Together we’ll be able to show what they’re up to, we just need more time for it…”