Chapter 18: How Bonds Form

The sky had long been dark and the group upheld their recent tradition of sitting around the bonfire outside the mansion. It was the only way they could all sit together due to Sorzoran’s massive size. As usual he lay around the fire, his body wrapping around the area. Zarahie took her normal place on top of his head, her paws draped over his forehead as her three tails flitted back and forth. Demeter lay slightly apart from them and Aiden, as usual, sat quietly with his arms crossed against his massive broadsword. The summoners sat upon the logs that Brogen and Sorzoran moved into place.

        A grate was positioned over the fire pit so that they could cook up food. At the moment several sticks were positioned over the fire. Meat and vegetables adorned the shish kebobs as the group laughed and talked.

        Every so often the group caught a glimpse of Zarahie shooting a small ball of fire at Demeter who always managed to deflect it with a small stream of water.

        “There’s something that’s been on my mind lately…” Crowe said.

        “What’s that?” Fiera asked.

        He looked over and motioned at the dragon and fox. Sorzoran’s face was posed as if he was laughing and the fox’s eyes were closed as she rolled around on his back.

        “Those two… Nobody but Zarahie has seen him for thousands upon thousands of years… How? If none of his siblings could find him how could she?”

        It was all luck really, Zarahie said as she poised upon Sorzoran’s forehead again, she had obviously overheard the conversation.

        “But how?” Crowe asked. “How did you manage to do it?! I don’t understand.”

        Zarahie took a deep breath.

        Are you sure you want to hear it?

        “Yes!” Crowe and Fiera both exclaimed at the same time.

        Ooookaaaaay, but it’s a long story!

        Don’t worry, Sorzoran chimed in, It baffles me still to this day as well.

        The group all gathered in and listened intently as they nibbled upon their kebobs.

        It all started a long time ago… Zarahie started, I was born about 500 years ago according to your world's time. I was very young…:

        In a time once passed, a young, two tailed fox emerges from her family’s den for the third time in her life. She wasn't very old, a couple of months maybe; the fire on her tails barely starting to crackle to life. The little fox looked around and took tiny, quiet steps as she examined her surroundings. A soft red paw ushered her forward. The little fox turned to see her mother's comforting face. Her mother was the size of a horse, four tails flitted back and forth behind her as she nuzzled her daughter softly. The little fox jumped on her snout and was lifted as her mother threw her onto her head. The pup's light giggles could be heard by her father on a small nearby hill as he watched from a short distance about 20 feet away. He was a little bigger than his mate with a purple hue to his fur and 7 fiery tails that he had laying low against the ground. Despite the flames that grazed the grass not a single one burned up nor did the dirt scorch. He watched on with pride as his mate and daughter played and rolled around the den together. The den itself was a small cave surrounded by trees and shrubs, an outcropping of a forest that overlooked a green plain. The cave itself curved downwards into the ground at a slight angle. The large fox smiled and lay his head down to enjoy the sun.