Chapter 14: Battle and Rank Part 2

“Saya’s mine,” Fiera said as they walked forward simultaneously towards the center of the ring.

        “Fair enough,” Alira said as she swung her blades around slowly.

        Sarah and Saya raised their arms simultaneously and with a thrust forward they sent out a beam of light and dark respectively, forcing Alira and Fiera to jump to the side away from each other. The four summons leapt out of the way onto another side of the arena.

        Alira landed on her feet and spun around, sending the snake sword flying towards Sarah. With a flick of her wrist Sarah sent a beam of light down onto the blades, grounding them. Quickly she started flicking her wrist to and fro, hitting Alira all over with small beams of light. Each one making her stumble.

        With a flick of her own wrist Alira snapped the sword into one and started to watch her cousin’s hand, careful to move her sword into place to deflect the oncoming barrage.

        Meanwhile Fiera had landed and had already lobbed a fireball towards Saya. Saya held up her staff and formed a dark sphere which enveloped the flame and snuffed it out. With a wave of her hand she sent the ball quickly flying towards Fiera, who bounded out of the way just in time. With a raise of her arms, Saya created tendrils of dark aura that rose from the ground and lashed out at Fiera. Quick on her feet, Fiera leapt onto a rock with a somersault just avoiding a tendril at her feet; and once she landed she again bounded forward, twisting in the air to slash at the oncoming tendril as it rose towards her. She knocked it aside and landed on a third, causing it to fall flat on the ground. She immediately began running forward towards Saya again.

        Meanwhile Alira had managed to start blocking all of Sarah’s bombardment. Frustrated, Sarah waved her hand in a circle, creating a sphere of light that she sent towards Alira. Instinctively Alira blocked it but the force sent her flying backwards where she lost balance and fell to the ground. She rolled backwards and onto her feet just in time to avoid another sphere that collided on the ground where she just lay. With one fluid motion she spun one way, making the snake sword extend out; Sarah saw this and begun to flick her wrist. Anticipating this, Alira quickly spun the other way while snapping her sword into one piece to pull it back and instantly extending it to the opposite side of where Sarah was trying to deflect. The beam of light sailed right past the blade without touching anything. The segments continued on their path almost hitting their mark until Sarah knocked them away at the last minute with her wand.

        On the opposite side of Sarah and Alira, Fiera and Saya were gaining no ground against each other. While Fiera ran towards Saya she sent a stream of flame towards her as a distraction. Saya fell for it and raised another dark sphere. Taking her opportunity Fiera jumped up, over the sphere and landed on the opposite side where she quickly started closing the gap between the two of them.

        “SWITCH!” Saya yelled out.

        Without missing a beat the girls locked arms and swung each other around sending a small wave of light and dark energy out which sent Fiera flying backwards. Saya now faced towards Alira and Sarah now faced Fiera.

        Fiera sprung backwards on her hands back to her feet as Sarah now sent a barrage of beams towards her. Using her claws she deflected all the beams as she leapt and bounded over boulders and across the ground, never stopping.

        Suddenly stopping on the spot she changed direction and bolted straight for Sarah. The girl grinned and flicked her wand, sending a beam where Fiera was going to be. Fiera watched her hand and positioned hers accordingly, taking the blow.