24

"I want you to meet my friends," we opposite each other, eyes glistening in the natural light of a torch as we talk.

"Excuse me?" Kylie looks anxious as she turns away from my face. Her hand rests gently on top of my own and the thumb freezes, the soothing circles came to an end.

"The group of people I am with, from my hometown. I think you should meet them," I explained.

Kylie looked down at her feet, "Why?"

"I think it's about time, my friends and I normally stick close together. Everyone we have meet eventually have joined our little band of people. You live alone bouncing from house to house, Kylie. I don't like it," I admitted. "I think you should meet them. Come with with us," I announced. I bite down on my cheek, a habit I got from my father. I have rubbed the skin raw many times.

"I'm not sure if that's such a good idea," she decided, carving designs in the dirt with her sneaker.

I was suprised, I expected Kylie to jump on the offer, "And why not?"

"I'm just . . ., fine on my own."

"Come on! They will love you, trust me," I smiled.

"My last group didn't end very well," her voice was soft and unsure. I knew there was a part of her that wanted to come with me, she was just scared.

"What are they like?" Kylie asked. 

"Blake can come off as a little harsh at first, but he is cool. You will get along with Cole if you get along with me. We are pretty much the same person," I chuckled. "Nate may be a little hesitant at a new face, he's been through a fair bit and isn't that talkative at first. He should warm up to you eventually," I announced. Nate nodded slowly.

"So are really making me do this, aren't you?" she asked, tilting her head up to the sky. 

"Yeah, I am."

Kylie stood up, brushing off her pants like she had crumbs on them, and started walking away. "Let's go then," she called over her shoulder.

"Wrong way," I chuckled. The boy stopped, ran a hand through his light orange hair and turned back around. His freckled cheeks were pink and he was clearly flustered. "Come on," I laughed, standing up myself and walking to the east. She jogged to watch up. We walked in silence, and I hated it.

Sometimes though, you need to learn how to cherish the silence when your closest friend, and person you like, enjoys it. So I didn't say anything until we were only a couple minutes away. 

"Stop worrying," I ordered.

"This is like meeting your parents," she ventured timidly, "but not."

 We were standing in the alley way, just outside the door. I stopped and Kylie followed my lead looking around.

"Where is the door?" she asked.

"You think we would have a door? We need to be smart. We bring the horses through the door, but it's blocked off. We come in the back entrance. The window," I announced. Kylie looked up and sighed.

"Okay, how do we get up?" she asked. I almost laughed. I grabbed the near by garbage can without bothering to reply and placed it in front of the window.

"Climb in," I smirked, winking and gesturing to the open window. 

"Where is everyone?" she asked one I joined her.

"In the main room, we normally just cluster in there," I explained. She nodded and tossed me a bright smile.

"You may as well crack your knuckles and yell bring it on," I laughed.